Frostgrave 'nickstarter' up and running

Bill

Re: Frostgrave 'nickstarter' up and running

Post by Bill » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:51 pm

My city is growing bigger, i can now cover a 4 ft by 4 ft area easily, but with the new story buildings i will have to look at altering some of the lower buildings as they no longer give adequate cover.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Having put a post on LAF in regard to soldiers and magic items, the responses (only one at present) support that 'any' items counts as the one slot - so a magic hand weapon would fill the slot even if the soldier carries a normal hand weapon (you can only give a soldier a magic weapon that it normally carries - so a thug could not be given a magic 2hd weapon, whilst a Templar or infantryman could).
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:26 pm

Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago.

I need some help in finding suitable miniatures for a theme from a game I enjoy called Path of Exile. Amusingly at one point a few years back I intended to see about writing some simple rules for the game, but as usual with these things nothing materialised.

However, this game has a setting that would work excellently for this. The Blackguard of Oriath are foreigners from a nation that is sending expeditions to plunder the ancient history and knowledge of the island that is the setting of the PCGame, and this would fit in with Archipelago.

They'll have soldiers with swords and shields, two handed weapons, bows, crossbows, magicians etc. Currently I've had a quick look into some models, mainly Perry, and the Italian light infantry might work (as will their crossbowmen). I was wondering if anyone would know of anything else that might fit, as my knowledge of armour/weapons prior to the 18th century is quite poor.

The typical soldiers for the faction look like this:

So we have guys in light to medium armour, including breastplates, and then guys in almost full plate. Thanks for any help.
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar)

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Looking at the type of armour you require then I'd be checking Late Medieval to Early Renaissance ranges, especially the Italian Wars (which it looks like you've done). The Fireforge ranges would be too early with almost universal gambesons - historical but not what you're after. Front Rank WOR range may have some suitable individuals but probably not enough, though these are amongst the very best (and easiest to paint) on the market. Worth a look. It does sound like Perry are probably your best option - I haven't actually seen their HYW French but they may have suitable crossbows and melee infantry. Kevin may be the best person to ask as I think he's bought these in the past. Warlord produced some very nice Early Renaissance Swordsmen (Conquistador types) but I think they've been out of stock for a while. However, if that is the style you're thinking of then check out Wargames Foundry as they do a very nice Conquistador range? Sorry I can't be more helpful but if I think of anything else then I'll let you know.

Just an afterthought...if you do go with Perry's then be careful if you intend them to fight the Frostgrave plastics as the Perry's are true scale 28mm and appear rather puny in comparison. :(

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:41 pm

I would think the HYW French Perry miniatures (one of the packs I have not brought, surprising but true - though I've seen them) would likely suffer from the same issues as the other Perry sprues, which is a limited amount of models on Munition Style plate, especially for the legs. The foot knight sprues, whilst only 6 models, may help in that regard - try Second City on eBay for individual sprues.

Richard's comments on the Spanish in Mexico would fit, though again the leg armour (and shields) would be an issue - sword and buckler men would go nice. As an aside, look into the threads on places like LAF concerning GoW Lannister scratch builds, the pictures you use seem fairly close to the style used for them - sans helmet.

Have fun with the shields, not that common a fitment on the periods we've directed you toward in these cases Fireforge maybe your friend.

And I second Richard's comment on size, Perry and Fireforge/Northstar don't really mix well.
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:23 pm

Thanks gents, some good information there.

Amusingly, checking the Lannister stuff a lot of people seem to have used Lord of the Rings Gondor.

I actually already have a lot of those in box...

Though after looking at the El Dorado figures I'm tempted to drop the theme and just get them! The guns can count as crossbows.
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar)

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Totally agree on the WF Conquistadors! I was tempted to buy them myself for a Dragon Rampant Militia...dammit David you've started me off again! :roll:

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Just wait until I sell mine in a few months. ;)

Edit: Well, did it, ordered some El Dorado, a wizard and an avatars of war character. Should be ready for when it comes out!

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm

https://youtu.be/TWh-FwQwSMg

GMG playing Archipelago

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Ghost Archipelago up and running - in at level 3 (was thinking of skipping it but decided that I will buy it anyway, so may as well go with it now), so Rules, Heritor/Warden metal and box of plastics.

Next spend goal is a copy of the master design model (the one they made as proof of purpose) for the upcoming (2018) Serpent/Lizard man plastics - already have a crew sheet included.

And as in before Saturday in for the draw for one of 20 free crew sprue.

(it's quite likely that this may replace 'Frostgrave' as my go to fantasy skirmish/gang game. I like the background and setting better).