Age of Sigmar slow grow

John

Re: Age of Sigmar slow grow

Post by John » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:28 pm

After playing using Skaven on Sunday, I noticed that the game seems to have gone back to having a single "Super-Powerful" large monster/ figure as the basis for your army, instead of your army being made up of mainly basic troops with a large monster only in the larger armies. As such will redesign my skaven force building it around a Verminlord,which seems to be one of the biggest monsters available to Skaven. Other than that is copying Kris on building a Clan Skryre force. Does anyone know what Clan Skryre Acolytes look like and where I can get their warscroll?
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 pm

Big monsters and heroes can dominate smaller games but I have found that synergy tends to play a greater roll as points increase, and relying on one big beastie can really hurt if your opponent develops a hard counter. Some god level models like Nagash, Archaon, Glottkin and Alarielle are the exception but you may be better off looking at ways in which your units can support one another.

Bill, most warscrolls are available on the GW site (on that models page) but I also use 1d4chans tactics pages. Hope that helps.
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

2018 models painted: 104
2018 models bought: 25

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 am

What points value are we aiming for the next step in this (currently around 650pts seems standard - mine is 660) :?: , and what is the final aim for December - 2000pts :?: (that seems to be the 'standard' level from what I can find).

Should we be aiming for 1000pts in April :?: , as I doubt in most cases that it would require more than one additional unit purchase/addition. Or around 825-875points (I have the models for 1000pts, and will work toward that, but if we're planning on a 'set points value' for forces in the next 'official meet', that could/would reference my building/painting.
Dragon Rampant // Warpath // Age of Sigmar // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Battletech (3039-3058) // Armoured Clash

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:11 am

Liam wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:35 pm
Big monsters and heroes can dominate smaller games but I have found that synergy tends to play a greater roll as points increase, and relying on one big beastie can really hurt if your opponent develops a hard counter. Some god level models like Nagash, Archaon, Glottkin and Alarielle are the exception but you may be better off looking at ways in which your units can support one another.
I totally agree with this. The armies seem to be all about synergy. If you go with a couple of big monsters, I think, you’ll soon have them sniped down by cannon fire or mortal wounds to the point their totally ineffective.

I’ve found the best unit in my Ironjawz army to be a unit of 5 Brutes rather than my Mawcrusha because everyone is so focused on taking down the big beastie. I might have more luck with 2 but I’d struggle getting them into a matched play legal army list and if we were playing an objective game, I wouldn’t have the models to hold them.

Don’t forget, not all AoS games are about killing enemy. There are many held objective games when a unit of 20 Night Goblins are better than a monster.
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:39 pm

If anyone does want an unstoppable big beastie then my mother in law’s available at very reasonable rates. Destruction of something guaranteed! Downside is she needs to be fed and taken to Bingo twice a week... :(

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:11 pm

Don't think anyone would have the points to put such a beast on the table, Richard.

Not sure on everyone else, but aiming for my next milestone to be 1000pts (that should be the April target). Most of it built and painted already, though the beastie still needs work (never keen on painting monsters).
Dragon Rampant // Warpath // Age of Sigmar // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Battletech (3039-3058) // Armoured Clash

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Hope to have an Ogor of Empire army ready by then.

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:17 pm

I am looking to start AoS, but I don't think I'll be in time for the slow grow stuff. I think.

Intend to go with the Kharadrons because I accidentally looked at the start collecting box...
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:37 pm

We're currently only on the 'start collecting' (around 600-700) phase at the moment, though this will last till end of April when next step occurs (I'm looking at 1000pts for that - painted of course).

Kris

Post by Kris » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:43 pm

We're running this pretty slowly David. I think we intend to have finished armies for December long day.