Kings of War

Richard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Kings of War

Post by Richard » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:17 am

There's been some discussion on the general thread about these rules so I thought that I'd open a thread in a more appropriate area.
Having viewed some videos of games, my interest has been aroused and this could well become a project for next year...

MrDwhitey
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Kings of War

Post by MrDwhitey » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:23 am

I'd love to try it sometime. Definitely something for after I finish my current projects though. :lol:
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:24 am

Only played one game, but found it quite enjoyable; would definitely play it again. It won't replace WH for me, but it is something that would make for a nice change from time to time; overall I think I still prefer WH, but maybe more games of KoW will change my mind.

One thing I do think Fantasy does better is (aside from a couple of units) there's no 'fail a leadership test and remove the unit from play' rule; with Fantasy, a unit always has the chance of rallying and being able to come back into the fight whereas in KoW there's two levels of leadership - if you roll above X but under Y the unit is wavering and becomes less effective (which is a nice feature), but if you roll above Y the unit just goes, regardless of how much of it is left.

I think KoW is also a nice game for those interested in making mini dioramas as units really have more of a footprint than being comprised of individual minis, so it's easier to incorporate unit fillers than it is in Fantasy.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Whilst I have no forces for the game, I do have the Dwarf vs Dwarf campaign book at home (like the idea of 'Daemon/Chaos' Evil Dwarfs, always have). Contains a 'building' campaign (games start small, with each one adding more troops/points, and have special rules). Also complete lists for both races.
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:29 pm

David, as I posted elsewhere, due to existing projects that need completion, this (alongside my BA Russians) will be a 2015 project but the more I see of it the more I like it.

Some interesting points Owen. I thought about the 'unit footprint' rather than actual models when I was watching a video of the game and agree about the diorama effect - similar to Impetus bases.

I actually prefer the 'steady - wavering - destroyed' system but that may be because of my historical gaming background where ancient/medieval battle accounts abound with troops deteriorating as fighting went on until they finally broke and either fled the field or were cut down as they attempted to do so.

One aspect not yet mentioned is the cost. A substantial army can be had for under £100 with Mantic's heavy discounting on their army sets. A major plus for me... ;)

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:23 am

Just discovered a download of the basic rules and loads of army lists free on the Mantic website. :D

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:38 pm

I quite like the idea that it's unit footprints rather than base sizes.

I can see me using Warhammer and Lord of the RIngs dwarfs and Goblins to make up an army. Imagine a goblin unit with my Balrog sitting in the middle. Finally, a silver lining for my hording ways.
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:13 pm

I guess if you're a Balrog you get to sit pretty much anywhere you want... ;)

Owen

Post by Owen » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:49 pm

Richard wrote: Some interesting points Owen. I thought about the 'unit footprint' rather than actual models when I was watching a video of the game and agree about the diorama effect - similar to Impetus bases.
I also thought of Impetus, unfortunately the KoW footprints don't match up with the Impetus footprints so you can't make a Kingdoms of Men army for KoW and have it double as a medieval army for Impetus say.

I actually prefer the 'steady - wavering - destroyed' system but that may be because of my historical gaming background where ancient/medieval battle accounts abound with troops deteriorating as fighting went on until they finally broke and either fled the field or were cut down as they attempted to do so.
That is a good point, but personally I think the fled or cut down aspect is better portrayed in WH - in WH you can chase after a fleeing unit and can cut them down, and those units that escape and manage to keep fleeing can get cut down as their flight takes them into enemy units, but ultimately they do have a chance of regaining their composure rather than a flat out just removed from play, and it also allows for them to still act as distractions for less disciplined troops (think of all those historic battles where an army lost their cavalry because the horsemen were too busy chasing after fleeing enemies to take part in the battle any further), something you don't get in a 'steady-wavering-destroyed' system.

Personally, I think a hybrid of the two systems would be better, with morale deteriorating until the unit brakes, but with the unit staying on the field with a chance to rally (albeit with heavy penalties to Ld) until they completely flee the battlefield.

One aspect not yet mentioned is the cost. A substantial army can be had for under £100 with Mantic's heavy discounting on their army sets. A major plus for me... ;)
As an addendum to this, a lot of the Mantic armies can line up with a corresponding WH army (off the top of my head, only Skaven don't have a direct analogue), so people with armies for the latter system can use them for KoW, and due to the lower points value of KoW units, it can be an excuse to field your full collection without needing a whole weekend to play the full game.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned is that (unless they change it in the 2nd ed ruleset) you can freely mix and match the army lists (provide you keep to the restrictions on heroes, monsters and warmachines) within the lists, so it allows for more flexibility for theming.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:54 pm

Owen, I agree with you that the KOW system might be improved to reflect the aspect of 'Pursuit' and I would probably do that by making any unit victorious in melee have to pass a leadership test so they maintained their discipline and didn't go racing off in pursuit of the defeated. Failure would result in them usually ending up out of position at the very least after sating their bloodlust! :lol: I totally agree that there were numerous examples of commanders losing control of their men when victorious in combat and not just amongst the cavalry! ;) However, I cannot think of a single example were truly routed units (not those just feigning retreat) ever rallied on the field to continue the fight later on. However, this is a Fantasy game and a house rule could easily be brought into play if this isn't covered in the new edition.

On another matter...has anyone seen the Mantic Abyssil Dwarf models 'in the flesh' as it were? I thought they used the standard Dwarf bodies and replaced the heads but the pics of the ones I've recently seen look quite different in body type and not just the head. Have Mantic re-designed this range at all? I really like the look of these and there's plenty of variety in the army composition so definitely one to check up on...