AoS Club House Rules

Richard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: AoS Club House Rules

Post by Richard » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:39 pm

Guys to be honest I just can't see anyone at our club doing that with bases. I agree on measuring from base edges as it just seems right and occurs in every other game I play so my brain won't have a seizure but I'm not getting worked up over things others may do elsewhere. I will only be playing at club so whatever tricksies they get up to - and yes, the forums are already filling up with them - then I'm not bothered.
I can't say I'm even bothered by some of the quirkier rules. Having to drink wine whilst playing has already got me digging out those Bret models and even talking to my horse wouldn't be a problem as the most intelligent conversations I have these days is with my dog anyway! :lol:

Owen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Owen » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Richard wrote:Guys to be honest I just can't see anyone at our club doing that with bases.
Agreed (at least I hope no one would).

John

Post by John » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Damn, I'm going to have to take all my Skaven off those Chariot bases then?
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Tibbles

Post by Tibbles » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:47 pm

I get to prance around like a madman with an invisible horse.

So not alot has changed. :lol:
Current armies: British Army ( Bolt Action)

Current Projects: Fallout: Wasteland Warfare, Bolt Action: tank war

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:26 pm

I'd like to put forward that as a temporary balancing measure we use

(Wounds+Attacks)xBravery for units
and
(Wounds+Attacks)xBraveryx2 for heroes and war machines

to calculate points values.

This will need tweaking to get it more balanced, but for the mean time it should give more balanced games than bringing whatever you feel like or just going off wounds.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:29 pm

I take it that you would use the highest 'Attacks' vie for models with Multiple options, or do you total them as they can use all Attack options in a turn.
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Owen

Post by Owen » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:44 pm

You total them.

Since posting that, Liam found a slightly more balanced calculator.

((Defence + Offence)x Bravery)/5

Heroes, monsters and warmachines are double this.
If an attack has variable values (eg the big monsters who get worse as they take wounds), then take the highest value given.
If a value is random the take the average of the roll (eg, if an attack does D3 damage, then damage counts as 2 for the purposes of this calculation)

Defence is calculated as
Wounds x Save value
Save value is the chance to make the save (so 6+ is x1, 5+ is x2, etc); a save of — is worth 1/2

Offence is the sum of all weapons. A weapon is calculated as
(Average + |Rend|)x Damage x Attacks
Average is the average between the To Hit and To Wound values worked out as for saves (eg an attack with 3+ to hit and 4+ to wound would have an average of (4+3)/2=3.5, or an attack with 6+ to hit and 4+ to wound would have an average of (1+3)/2=2)
|Rend| is the positive value of the Rend characteristic (-1 is 1, -2 is 2, etc)
Damage and Attacks are the values as on the profile.
If a weapon deals a mortal wound, then it is worth 12pts

So for example a goblin with bow:
Wounds=1
Save=6+
Bravery=4
Goblin bow: 1 attack, 5+ to hit, 5+ to wound, Rend -, damage 1
Stabba: 1 attack, 5+ to hit, 5+ to wound, rend -, damage 1

So,
Defence = 1x1=1
Offence = bow + stabba = ((((2+2)/2) + 0)x1x1) + ((((2+2)/2) + 0)x1x1) = 2 +2 = 4

So a goblin with bow is worth ((1+4)x4)/5 = 4pts

A Chaos Lord on Manticore with Daemon Blade and Chaos Lance on the other hand
Wounds = 12
Save = 4+
Bravery = 8
Daemon Blade = 4 attacks, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Rend -, Damage D3
Chaos Lance = 3 attacks, 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound, Rend -, Damage 2
Manticore's claws and jaws = 5attacks, 4+ to hit, * to wound, rend -1, damage 1
Manticore's tail = * attacks, 4+ to hit, 4+ to wound, rend -, damage 1

*the to wound of the claws and jaws and the attacks of the tail are dependent on how many wounds it's taken, so consulting the chart for the best values give claws and jaws 2+ to wound and the tail D6 attacks.

So,
Defence = 12 x 3 = 36
Offence = Daemon blade + Chaos Lance + claws and jaws + tail = ((((4+4)/2) + 0)x2x4) + ((((4+4)/2) + 0)x2x3) + ((((3+5)/2) + 1)x1x5) + ((((3+3)/2) + 0)x1x3.5) = 32 + 36 + 25 + 10.5 = 103.5

So the Chaos Lord is worth (((36+103.5)x8)/5)x2 = 446.4pts

Downside of this method is that it takes a lot of maths work to get points values, but overall it is more balanced than the other method.

Peter

Post by Peter » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Does anyone want to volunteer to work out points for me? I can't deal with that much maths :lol:
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC

Owen

Post by Owen » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:33 pm

Peter wrote:Does anyone want to volunteer to work out points for me? I can't deal with that much maths :lol:
Hire an accountant to do your tax returns and sneak it into his workload :p

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:43 pm

OK, so i'll work out the costs for my Blightkings using Liam's acrane forum (not that much of a problem/hardship - only need to do the math once). Do we round to nearest, or up.

Blightking (Nurgle Chaos Warrior)
Defence - Wounds 3 x Save 4+ (3x3) = 9
0ffence - Average (3+/3+) 4 + Rend 0 x Damage 1 x Attacks 3 (4x1x3) = 12
Bravery 8

Points - 9+12x8 = 168/5 = (33.6) 34pts

And it should stop the Nurgling bases working out at 90pts each (that was 270 a unit), as under the older idea.

Nurgling
Defence - Wounds 4 x Save '-' (4x0.5) = 2
0ffence - Average (5+/5+) 2 + Rend 0 x Damage 1 x Attacks 5 (2x1x5) = 10
Bravery 10

Points - 2+10x10 = 120/5 = 60pts

(to be far, still happy to 'story tell', but a pick system is needed I suppose - especially for the likes of me with almost no models).
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .