Spartan dropping Uncharted Seas

Richard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Spartan dropping Uncharted Seas

Post by Richard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:15 pm

I actually dug out my existing Dwarf fleet today (11 ships in all) and painted up two cruisers. I was very pleasantly surprised at the speed and outcome so enthusiasm continues to grow. :)

Also found a positive in that the new Dwarf fleet has mostly vessels that aren't in my existing fleet (the frigates being the exception but I've always liked the Dwarf frigates!) so expanding my existing force may be an easier option than building an Elf fleet from scratch...or I may be tempted to do both. ;)

Peter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Peter » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:17 am

I've decided that I'm too poor (thanks to Xmas) to take this project on so I won't be buying those lovely looking sky pirates.
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:50 am

I almost ordered last night so I'm glad you've said that as I'm going to leave it unless there is more interest at club. Like most people I have limited resources and need to spend on projects I know I can get games with (like L'Art) so as much as I like the rules and models I think I'll let it pass. :cry_blow:

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:57 am

I would have gone into this if I had not had my 'change of Heart' regarding figure gaming - good for me and my funds, bad for the 'Shiny' factor within the club.

Still like the Ralgard, just not enough to spend £70 for a complete fleet. (that's going on DFC KS)
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Owen

Post by Owen » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Looks like my Shroud Mage conquest of the seas will be uncontested then :(

Liam

Post by Liam » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:56 pm

I was also looking at this but decided against. While I liked the idea of using the figures and rules to tie in with Warhammer/mordheim, the death of that in club combined with the lack of interest in FSA and a huge backlog of projects has made me say no.
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

2018 models painted: 203
2018 models bought: 30

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:08 pm

I'm quite saddened and surprised that US is being discontinued as it is a fairly simple yet tactically interesting game supported by some excellent models but apparently the money (though not mine!) lies in Dropzone and Dystopian Wars. If this is the case then I can understand why Spartan don't expand US but not why they don't just let it run. However, at a local level I was hoping there may be a resurgence of interest to attract me back to club with some games being played that interest me but alas it's not to be. Ultimately, people will play what they want to play for however long they want to play it and US is clearly not on the agenda. :cry_blow:

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:16 pm

It's possible that Spartan are planning a reboot - they do have a habit of 'dropping' low run games and then 'refreshing' them.

But, yes, Dystopian setting and the FSA Galaxy, along with Halo FB is where the money is (interesting thought, Spartan seem to top out at 3 settings/IP - so with Halo appearing, something had to go :? )
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Owen

Post by Owen » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:48 pm

Part of me hopes a reboot isn't in the works (at least not for a while) - I'll be a tad peeved if I've rushed out and splurged for no reason, especially if the reboot minis end up being nicer :cry_blow:

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 pm

Owen wrote:Part of me hopes a reboot isn't in the works (at least not for a while) - I'll be a tad peeved if I've rushed out and splurged for no reason, especially if the reboot minis end up being nicer :cry_blow:
I spoke to a lady at Spartan on Monday and she was very helpful. Apparently they are dropping US as they are focussing their staff on DW, FA and Halo production and development. By the sounds of things, sales of US don't justify the staff and mold time so I honestly can't see a reboot being on the cards. However, there is always the chance it might be sold on but that may be wishful thinking.
Personally I can't 'get into' Halo (I have no experience or knowledge of the game/setting so that doesn't help) and have never really felt the love (as Kev says!) for DW - maybe it's me but it seemed very complicated compared to US so feeling a bit frustrated as I really like both the models and system with US.
Still haven't written it off completely but it's competing with games I know I will have opponents for so not really hopeful. :(