Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Post by Kevin » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:16 pm

Dan Mersey's excellent Medieval system 'Lion Rampant' (LR) has finally made it into it fantasy version - 'Dragon Rampant'. (DR) :D

The rules for the two systems are identical, as are the way forces (Warband/Retinue) are selected - rather like the old 'HoTT' (Hordes of the Things) DBX system, forces are based around a total of 24pts, with units costing a set number (Foot Knights/Men at Arms/Heavy Foot costing 6pts, Hordes/Serfs/Peasants costing 1pt) - give a force of around 30-50 figures on average (my current Alfred period Saxon will have around 70 figures, due to them generally being poor quality, but fielding in a soviet mode (Quantity - Quality). There are no 'set force lists', though each system does have guides (LR - no more than 50% of points on one troop type, DR - between 4-10 units), rather a classification of troop with it's points cost.

The difference between the two systems comes with the 'Fantastical Upgrades' options in DR, allowing for flight/burrowing, Magic and Magic weapons/armour (which will not win you the game, but may help) and other effects.

The other main change is the 'Single' and 'Reduced' unit size rules. In LR, all units are either 6 or 12 figures in size, and this counts as a track of their life points. In DR, units are rated in 'strength points' (6 or 12), and as such you could field a Dragon, rating it as a 1 model 12 strength shooting unit (for it's breath weapon), and then give it flying (or buy it as a melee units and give it a ranged attack). A group of Ogres/Trolls could be 3 or 4 figures, again with 12 strength (losing a figure every 4 or 3 hits/wounds). Options are up to you.

As might be guessed from the above, no set range of miniatures is available (not a bad thing) for this, with players using (and rating) whatever takes their fancy model wise. As the LR and DR systems are the same, historical crossovers are easily handled.

Can see this, along with LR, looming large in next years plans.
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

MrDwhitey
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Post by MrDwhitey » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:29 am

Thanks for this post, I completely forgot to order this!

I've already got plenty of LotR figures I was going to use with this.
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:36 am

Firestorm have it on the shelf at present, so if you want a copy ?
and its got the complete rules, so is stand alone - and as the (and the troop classifications are identical between LR and DR, one set works for both. It's just the options that change.

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:24 pm

My copy arrived, two things immediately come to mind.

Great art all throughout the book.

I like the guy's writing style, very humorous.

I'm thinking of playing it with 6 models per unit for my orcs, 3 cavalry, 3 wizard etc.

Ordered a bunch of 3 and 5 slot skirmish trays for 25mm rounds (wizards/leaders in 3, archers in 5) and some 3x2 rectangular trays for my regulars (units of 6). I would've gone for skirmish 6 slot trays for archers, but I didn't like how they looked.

http://war-bases.co.uk/index.php?route= ... path=68_71
Last edited by MrDwhitey on Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:24 pm

double post, madness

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:34 pm

That's the nice thing about these - allow you to use what you've got, how you like.

Funnily enough, I was looking at my 'Relics' force currently under paint, and had come to about the same decision in regard unit sizes (battle/Pain suits - 2 figures, Infantry units - 6 figures, Cavalry units - 2/3 figures, Mages - 3/4 figures).

Will not go with trays though, same the amount to be moved is not that great.

And will continue working on the Saxon and Feudal Forces (if used at half figures strength to start with, will finish even quicker).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:14 pm

One thing we have house ruled (for both this and Lion Rampant) is the '3" Rule'

This states that ALL units should have a space of 3" between them at all times unless in contact (the only time you can go closer the 3"). We - my friend and I - have changed this to state that the 3" rule applies to 'Enemies', but a '1" gap' is fine for friendly forces (so you don't have 3" gaps in your battle line.

It's worked well so far.

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:12 pm

Yeah, this looks like a good way to use my Warhamer stuff other than to look at it in my display cabinet :D
"Ya want to play huh?...Play me!! "
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)
Bolt Action (Gerrys, Brit airborne, Ruskies, US Marines, Japs)
Sword and spear (Republican Romans)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:54 pm

Cool rules - and simple.

And cheap on Amazon - i think itwill cost you about £7-8 including P&P for all you'll ever need.

And the Historical versons good too

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Based up a Mantic Abyssal as a test for this (and KoW, eventual), one of them from Dungeon Saga - and must say they look a damn site better when based and with a bit of paint (well, currently undercoat, on them).

Will field as 'Light Infantry with Missile Weapons - 5pts', to account for the odd model throwing fireballs (fits nicely as this removes the 'Wall of Spears' rule when adding the ranged attack. Start with 6 figures to a unit (2str each), though eventually take it up to 12 (1str each).

So, Armies of Men (Alsnglo-Saxon's) Nuem (Masocist Dwarven types) and Abyssal Daemons (nuff said) to start with.