Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Liam
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Post by Liam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:40 am

Wouldn't mind watching a game of this as it sounds quite interesting. I see cavalry are useable but would it be possible to field chariots? I have a small tomb king force that I could use for it so just working out what is fine and what is unusable/too powerful.
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

2018 models painted: 203
2018 models bought: 30

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kevin » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:57 pm

Yes, actually one of the upgrades for Heavy Cavalry is 'chariots' ;) - increased armour/less mobilty and must be fielded as a 'reduced str unit - 2 or 3 models'.

So, what that means is that Chariots will only have either 2 or 3 models, but still count as having str 6 as a unit (damage to a unit is worked out on figures, standard cavalry have 6 figures per unit, and become 'weakened' when down to 3 (all units have the same attack die - 12 at full strength/6 when weakened, though diferent units have diferent hit number and armour factors). So a unit of 2 models would only lose a model when it had taken 3 str of damage (equal to 3 figures in a normal unit).

Sounds complicated, but actually quite simple in had it works.

And with David's idea of reduced numbers of models in units (Infantry should be 12 or 6, planned 6 or less, Cavalry should be 6, planned 3 or less), you should not need more than 30-40 figures for a 24pt game. I tend to favour even numbers in units, as it allows for the visual representation of weakened units (half strength/model count), but as you can have 1 figure units :?
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

John

Post by John » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:56 pm

Am waiting for my copy to come from Amazon, but am planning on using my Rohan riders and foot. Been trying to see what the cavalry might be classed as using Lion, so have them roughly as Mounted and Foot Sergeants. Then I can use the Uruk-hai I have, but not sure how they would translate!
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Liam

Post by Liam » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:31 am

Sounds good. I just ordered a copy of the rules (£8! A steal after years of buying GW :lol: ) so count me in for a few games.
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm intrigued to see how this is played. I've got some Moria Goblins that are looking for a way out of their box.
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:59 pm

So, looks like i will not have difficulties getting people to at least try this (and it's a good system). As i've said earlier, the rules themselves are identical to 'Lion Rampant', so historical forces can port across without issuse (the main difference is in how lists are built, not troop types, and i for one would keep these restrictions in place).

As an overview to force construction, whilst the book does give 'guidelines' as to force lists, they are just that, so do your own thing (i feel the a sort of WYSIWYG should be invoked, such as if the unit is a primary missile unit, it should have more missile then melee weapons by around 3/4 of it's number - there are options for 'mixed weapon units', so they would be the 1/2 mix). DR states the the only restrictions are that no unit costa more thn 10pts, and that a minimum of 4 units are fielded (LR stated that no ONE TYPE of unit can take up more than 50% of the force cost - you can actually build a force with 24 (12 if using David's half figure str set up) - 12 mounted Knights/12 Foot Knights).

IN DR troops come in 5 flavours - Riders (Elite - 6pts/Heavy - 4pts/light - 4pts), Warbeasts (Greater - 6pts/Lesser - 4pts), Foot (Elite -6pts/Heavy - 4pts/Light - 3pts/Bellcose(Fierce) - 4pts), Missile (Heavy - 4pts/Light - 4pts/ Scout - 2Pts) and Horde/Serf/Peasent (1pt).
Almost all troops have options which generally increase their cost (Light foot with mixed weapons work out as 5pts), and then you have the 'Fantastical Options' - Fear, Undead, Spellcaster and so on.

Units are generally 12 figures (all mounted, Elite Foot and Scouts are 6), though in DR this is counted as 'Strength Points', so units can have as many figures as you wish (called 'reduced size' or 'single figure' units in the rules). This is only inportant as units 'weaken' after 50% loss of strength points (so when a foot unit drops to 6 figures from it's starting total of 12),as this then effects the simple combat and morale systems.

And a quick overview of the basic rules

Combat is nice and simple - all 'non-weakened' units roll 12D6 (6D6 when weakened), regardless of what they are. Different units have different 'hit' numbers, and each unit has an 'armour' rating - this equals the number of hits to remove 1 figure (Elite Foot have armour 4, so lose a figure every 4 hits taken - they have staying power). HIts are all or nothing affairs, they don't carry over, so it can take a while to kill of some units (peasents and scouts have armour 1, though scouts do have a few specials to help them stay alive - you basic skirmish screen - so if contacted, they die in droves).

Movement is handled by 'Orders', of which each troop type will have a target number for its basic set - Attack. Move. Shoot (if appropriate). These numbers vary by unit, and allow the units to activate to carry out that order (almost all orders top out at 7+, which is rolled on 2D6, though some are as low as 5+). If a unit fails it's order roll, play passes to the other player, though once all units on one side have activated, play passes automatically. All units complete their activation before the next one is tested for, so multiple unit attacks are always risky.

Morale is quite simple, working on a 'Shaken/Break' system with a break removing the unit and casualities affecting the target numbers needed. I must admit, the first time i played, this is the bit i had difficlties with, as it works in a way i'm not used to. But once understood, it's simple and effective.

If your looking for gimmicks and win at all cost setups, forget these rules. If you want a fun game, well........

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:14 pm

And just in case anyone is interested, the Forum for this (and all other Dan Mersey rules) is
'Dux Rampant'

Liam

Post by Liam » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:15 pm

The rulebook came today and I like it. Smaller than I expected but an its an easy read and the writer's sense of humour comes across. I really like the cow dragon and monster sheep too :lol:

I think I could adapt quite a few forces for this so that is good. My undead, orcs, chaos warriors and bretonnians can all be fielded in some form so it gives me some variety. Ready for a couple of test games next month if you fancy it Kev (though I don't think I'm free until the 21st).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Which is actually quite good, as neither am I.

So, first game of Dragon Rampant - 21st Feb (I'll add it to the 'book a game' list.

Gives me a chance to 'try' to get a themed force (not a throw together one) painted.

One question - Half or full count units (so Elites/Mounted/Scouts 6 or 3 figures, others 12 or 6 - or do we jsut 'go for it')

Liam

Post by Liam » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:12 pm

I'll pencil it in for the 21st too.

Good chance that my army will just be thrown together as I probably won't have time to put a painted themed force together.

What would you rather? I'm guessing 24 points yeah? Happy to go full count of 6 and 12 bar reduced model count units but I'll go by whatever you can manage.