Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Post by Kevin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:14 pm

I would tend to go with what ever models you want - have you seen the size of the Banebrood Mongrals. Though it would be nice to try for the 6/12 figure units for thr visual specticle, i think 3/6 units are more likely.

and yes, 24 points with the guides in the book seem good.
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kevin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:17 pm

Just read an interesting thread on the Dux Rampant forum on game size for this. Book recommends 24 point forces, nut the general feeling is that it may actually be to few points, as you end up with around 4 units, some of which can be 1 model.

This I like, as I've mentioned previously, I find the rules work just ad well with larger sized forces. From the thread, people talk about the minimum they play with being 30 points (much mention of 36), with some even going to 48 for a single player.

As I've got a game planned with Liam, at 24 points, we shall see how things go with that, but I feel an increase in points has always been on the cards for me.

24 points could be 4 figures, as you could just take 4 elite foot units without upgrades as 'heroes' - job done, bit you get the point.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:50 pm

Even I could paint 4 figures by Christmas! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:47 pm

Interesting rule aside from the Forum regarding 'Wall of Spears' ability on the light and heavy foot. Though you need to pass a 'move' order to form this (and you don't get to move, you form around a figure on the spot), once the roll is made the unit remains formed until they choose to break the wall or are forced too.

This opens up some interesting tactics, though also a slight can of worms. If you upgraded your unit with 'short ranged missiles' (1pt), they can throw them whilst still formed in the wall, a failure not breaking the wall. This is fine for that upgrade, with a range of around 6", but that would also mean that if you upgraded them with a mage/spell user (though that is 4pts for a full mage - only 2 for a lesser mage), they could form and then the Mage throw spells, which have a range of 18". Have to see how this works within the game, but it's a possibility that that mix 'might be' a little broken - even is somewhat expensive in points - cheapest would be 5pts (light infantry with 2pt mage).

That said, mixed weapon light infantry (light infantry with missile weapons) is also 5pts, but they lose 'Wall of Spears' for the missile ability as well as paying the points (in fact both the 2pt upgrades on those infantry types remove 'Wall of Spears'). And they only have a range of 12".

John

Post by John » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:40 pm

Mind you, with the Wizard upgrade, theoretically he wouldn't be in the "Formed" "Wall of Spears", but would probably be bouncing around behind/to the side of the unit and thus could still use his magic. A simple house rule to cover this is that the Wizard cannot be placed in the front rank to allow the unit to form the "Wall of Spears", but then the distance for casting the spell is measured from the wizard, not from the unit as seems to occur for shooting! Thus the placement of the wizard becomes more important.
Have yet to use a wizard anyway.
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:01 am

Unless your fluff has the whole unit as a wizard - still with the 'wall of spears'.

Anywho - food for thought.

John

Post by John » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:22 pm

i suppose if you want to count your wizard as Elite or Heavy Foot, then It sounds like fun having a single character with Wall of Spears - Talk about a Mage with weapon skills!I would have thought a mage would possibly take a Scout definition - Lower weapon skill but with Missile capability as his magic spells, otherwise Light foot with Short range missiles or Missile troop itself.
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Remember - spells give you range, Healing, Morale buffs and other interesting effects. So, most Mages/Wizards are based around foot types (i agree with you about 'scouts', as this gives all the 'run away/hard to hit' effects, a ranged attack and a low base cost, in exchange for less STR (6 only) and low armour). As the Cheapest Mage (2pt upgrade can only have 3 spells chosen before start of game - full Mage (4pts) gets the lot) would be 4pts, same as a unit of heavy foot, you payes your money and takes your chances.

Kris

Post by Kris » Sun May 01, 2016 8:17 pm

How are people finding this ruleset in real play?

Liam

Post by Liam » Sun May 01, 2016 8:46 pm

I need to get a few more games in but so far I really like the system. Fun, quick, not too unbalanced and it can handle different armies and play styles well enough. For someone who doesn't move away from GW rulesets all that often I have been really surprised with how nice the rules feel and how low the buy-in cost is. Now if only I could find decent (relative, I know) plastic fantasy minis from companies other than GW I would be well happy :)
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

2018 models painted: 203
2018 models bought: 30