Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

jamie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Post by jamie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:04 am

Bought em to have a read

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kevin » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:40 am

Thought you were sticking to WWII - though nothing to stop you pointing up a platoon of 'insert country' troops (as shooters) I suppose.
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

jamie

Post by jamie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:31 pm

had a few quid left over on an amazon gift card, I just like the idea of using anything for an army

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:54 pm

I had a read last night and liked what I read. I have enough GW Khorne guys to make up 5 or 6 units so I'll carry on with this as a supplement to painting up Antares stuff. Like the way you can characterise your units/army to reflect your own interpretation of your models.
For example, I see my Khorne guys as berserker types, variously armoured with the knight guys maybe, and the big guy certainly, causing fear. Clicks up the points but I see these as above average to very good in combat but their enthusiasm to chop the enemy removes their common sense at target selection - they will charge who or whatever gets in their way, which could be quite disastrous! No doubt they will be led a merry dance but if they get into 'hold' then get ready to have your feet stepped on! :lol:

Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:57 pm

I am going to be putting together a force for DR this week out of some old Tomb Kings (the mantic stuff got me thinking :) ) and would like some input on the choice of general.

I will be converting the tomb king to ride the only chariot and would like to use the elite rider profile. Would you guys be ok with me giving the 'chariot' upgrade from the heavy rider option list to the unit? It would keep all the same rules but upgrade armour to 5 rather than 4. Is this too strong?
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

2018 models painted: 203
2018 models bought: 30

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:58 pm

Armour 5 might be a bit high - average units (basic troops) tend to hit on 5+, so a full strength should get 4-5 hits from 12die. Reduced/broken units just won't touch it.

The Chariot upgrade balances the increase in armour with the reduced model count rule and mobility limits, then adds 2pts for the armour increase (shiny armour, which takes armour from 2 to 3 costs 2pts - bellicose foot). As such I would think 3pts would be nearer the mark.

But try it out and see what you get.

Another option is to replace the armour increase section with the fantastical ability 'Mystical Armour' (2pts). This allows a roll against every hit, which is saved on a 6. Not as effective as armour 5, but does give it the edge.

But, above all, try it out - Your Tomb King starts at 8pts (Elite Rider + Chariot), so is a third of your force straight off. That in itself might be a balance.

Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Kevin wrote:Armour 5 might be a bit high - average units (basic troops) tend to hit on 5+, so a full strength should get 4-5 hits from 12die. Reduced/broken units just won't touch it.

The Chariot upgrade balances the increase in armour with the reduced model count rule and mobility limits, then adds 2pts for the armour increase (shiny armour, which takes armour from 2 to 3 costs 2pts - bellicose foot). As such I would think 3pts would be nearer the mark.

But try it out and see what you get.

Another option is to replace the armour increase section with the fantastical ability 'Mystical Armour' (2pts). This allows a roll against every hit, which is saved on a 6. Not as effective as armour 5, but does give it the edge.

But, above all, try it out - Your Tomb King starts at 8pts (Elite Rider + Chariot), so is a third of your force straight off. That in itself might be a balance.

I'll probably only use him in bigger games as the number of elite units is making it quite a pricey force anyway but I'll certainly test him out. How about I just add the movement restrictions for +/-0 points. It wasn't really about the armour bonus to be honest, just a way of getting the rules to match the model.

I like the mystical armour idea though, that may get used :)
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

Liam

Post by Liam » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Great game tonight, thanks for that John. Shall we put some of the rules discussions here to get some consensus?

The one I remember was adding skirmish to those units that have short range missiles such as javelins. Should this be free as part of the cost of getting the missile weapons or should it cost a point or two extra?

John

Post by John » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:03 pm

I think that the unit already has to pay to add SRM to its basic stats, so the factor of Skirmish can be a part of that so they get the weapons like Javelins etc and by using Skirmish, they can then move and shoot. As we agreed that it would only be available to SRMs then the cost is already there!
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:16 pm

I think a symposium on DR options would be a good idea, then start a thread as suggested.

Not sure about allowing non-light types access to skirmish, though as I've said before try it and see. Certainly should not be a free upgrade, anything that allows 2 actions in 1 activation is powerful (you get to move and shoot, with your choice of move-shoot or shoot-move).

also - what is SRM (does it mean 'Single/Reduced Model Count) :?:

Edit (19/07) - or 'Short Range Missile' :cry: - yes, it's a 1pt upgrade. I'm trying to wrack my brains for a line unit that skirmished in an historical (ancient/medieval setting, once black powder came in, things changed) context, and to be honest I cannot.
Last edited by Kevin on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.