Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Richard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Dragon Rampant release to the wild.

Post by Richard » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:37 pm

I haven't actually played this yet though I have played its historical counterpart so have a basic grasp of the system. I don't know what models are being discussed here or why they should have the skirmish ability added to their existing profile but I'm cautious of introducing troop types that aren't costed out under the rules as they stand. From previous experience it is very easy to unbalance rules with guesstimates of troop costs. Players are free to agree anything in a private game but I'd advise caution before incorporating such private agreements into official club policy.

Liam
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Liam » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:53 pm

Richard wrote:I haven't actually played this yet though I have played its historical counterpart so have a basic grasp of the system. I don't know what models are being discussed here or why they should have the skirmish ability added to their existing profile but I'm cautious of introducing troop types that aren't costed out under the rules as they stand. From previous experience it is very easy to unbalance rules with guesstimates of troop costs. Players are free to agree anything in a private game but I'd advise caution before incorporating such private agreements into official club policy.
Fair points from both replies. I must admit that I do not plan on using any troops of this type as they don't suit my planned or available forces so I may have been guilty of not thinking it through as much as I should have. I am happy to play test it with people though to see if it is something we use as a special rule in private games.
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

2018 models painted: 203
2018 models bought: 30

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:09 pm

well, the only upgrade I am currently using (not in the rules) is 'Shiny Armour' - based off the 'really shiny armour' from the Bellicose foot unit.

Really shiny armour - 2pts, takes armour from 2 to 3.

Shiny armour - 1pt, takes armour from 1 to 2

Would only effect Scout and Horde units, as everyone else has armour 2 standard, or higher. I did initially think 2pts, but as really shiny armour is that cost, felt 1pt might be enough (with the 2 units mentioned, it either doubles the cost (horde) or adds half again (scouts).

Use it on my Scout Abyssal unit, giving them the same armour as standard foot but keeping the weakness of a skirmish unit - they only have 6 figures and that makes them quite vulnerable to direct melee attacks (remember if you fail your evade, you have armour 1 regardless of actual level)
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

John

Post by John » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:30 pm

Richard wrote:I haven't actually played this yet though I have played its historical counterpart so have a basic grasp of the system. I don't know what models are being discussed here or why they should have the skirmish ability added to their existing profile but I'm cautious of introducing troop types that aren't costed out under the rules as they stand. From previous experience it is very easy to unbalance rules with guesstimates of troop costs. Players are free to agree anything in a private game but I'd advise caution before incorporating such private agreements into official club policy.
What led to the discusion on this between Liam and Myself was the fact that foot armed with "Short Range Missiles" could not move and shoot. Now it mentions SRM as items such as Javelins and we discussed that missiles such as javelins can be used by a mobile warrior (Olympic throwers even have a run-up before releasing their Javelins!) and the discusion went on how best to represent this and "Skirmish" came up as it allowed troops to Half move and throw/fire a missile. It only aplied to the "short" missiles not longbows etc as they were usually used at a standstill. Again admitedly most people armed with Javelins were already scouts, so would have "skirmish" anyway, but you can have a unit armed with javelins or even throwing spears especially in Fantasy so it was an attempt to see how to represent it. I only mentioned it to get other peoples opinions, as you have said it can be a private addition by someone who uses this type of troop in an agreement with their Oppo!
I mentioned it as a user of Skaven, my Gutter-runners use throwing stars, but on thinking about it later, they would be fielded as scouts mostly so would get skirmish anyway!
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:05 pm

I've just received 40 or so lord of the rings dwarves to use (both for this and LotR). Currently I'm looking at only 4 units,

Elite Foot Leader 6

Elite Foot 6

Heavy Foot Offensive 6

and Light Missiles Sharpshooters 6
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

John

Post by John » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:09 pm

As I mentioned on the Long Day Sunday in August post, I was wondering, as there now seems to be several with an interest in Dragon Rampant, if people would be interested in doing a simple "Round the Tables" set of games using DR.
The plan would be, if enough people are interested (About 4-6 would be ideal), for each person to have a 24pt warband and play all other players (at least once hopefully), an hour a Game and see who has the best Warband!
Anyone who wants to join in, but doesnt have the figures for a warband could borrow one! I am sure there are enough people who have a couple of Fantasy armies to make spare warbands (I could make about 4 myself!).
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Kevin, you are a very bad man! My war chest lies depleted from purchasing a new DR force. Fortunately I have enough Fireforge Medievals to form the opposition so that won't cost me. ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 am

Interesting thread on the FB group, which pointed out something I had missed.

In regard to the 'Undead/No feelings' ability, the rounding up of the hits taken appears only to apply to attacks in melee, NOT from shooting (this is done to the wording in regard damage received from shooting and melee), so that means the your average undead (usually Horde, Light or Heavy foot) is a vulnerable to missile fire as a regular unit, but weaker in actual melee.

This I actually quite like as the current 'no artillery' rules would support this (missile weapons in fantasy settings are over-rated in their killing power), so even if this is counter by a rule change, I think I may house rule it for my games.

It's main effect will be the 'Undead/no feeling' troops will not fall appear when hit by missiles, but will do in melee as the round up still counts (and is why I think light foot are somewhat a better option then heavy, as they only lose 1 figure per 2 hits when under missile attack and 'wall of spears' can turn them into A3 models for melee, but they still then round up).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 pm

David, you may have a use for your Gondor models next year.

And, John, get painting your Rohan.

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:27 pm

:?:
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)