Honours of War - SYW Rules

MrDwhitey

Re: Honours of War - SYW Rules

Post by MrDwhitey » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:51 pm

Yes, I've based them 40x30.

As for cavalry I was going same for infantry, 3 40x30 bases with 2 or 3 cavalry per base. 3 might be a little too crowded.
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar)

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:44 pm

James- sorry for the late response.. here is the basing scheme I am going for;

Infantry: 40x30 (6 figures per base)
Cavalry: 50x40 (3 models per base)

I also have some artillery; I will put them together and see what is needed..
Battlefleet Gothic: Imperial Navy
Bolt Action: British
DZC: Shaltari
40k: Imperial Guard
Space Hulk
X-Wing: Imperial & Rebel

Bill

Post by Bill » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Play in 10mm I have a painted army.

Bill

Post by Bill » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:04 pm

What size are artillery bases ?

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Mark wrote:James- sorry for the late response.. here is the basing scheme I am going for;

Hi Mark
What artillery pieces did you buy as I can't see any listed for the SYW? I think the ones listed for the French Indian Wars would be suitable but just wanted to check. Thanks.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Bill wrote:What size are artillery bases ?
The following base sizes are quoted in HoW:

for 10mm:
- 20x20 for light artillery
- 25x25 for medium artillery
- 30x30 for heavy guns

The rules imply there is no hard and fast rule on this though. I have 15/18mm figures and what "looks right" is 40x40 and 50x40, although the rules state 30x30 for light artillery (you will struggle to fit everything on that base size!).

Hope this helps..
Space Hulk

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Richard wrote:
Mark wrote:James- sorry for the late response.. here is the basing scheme I am going for;

Hi Mark
What artillery pieces did you buy as I can't see any listed for the SYW? I think the ones listed for the French Indian Wars would be suitable but just wanted to check. Thanks.
Can't see too much of a problem with French Indian War RIchard, but I have found a few manufacturers of 15/18mm SYW artillery;

Eureka
Big SYW range but are 18mm (allegedly the horses are HUGE). I ordered a cannon from them and it was a nicely detailed model, and the figures are well detailed. They do limbers under the Russian army selection (including limber drawn by oxen!).
Apart from model size they are an Aussie company, so P&P might be expensive; I pre-ordered mine and picked up from Salute...

Essex Miniatures
Good range but they are old castings and definitely 15mm. I bought a trial cannon and limber and they are a bit basic, with a lot of flash, but would do the job..

Freikorp15's
No experience of these, but they have limbers with riders. Probably similar quality to Essex..

On the subject of Infantry/cavalry basing I went away from the rules which Suggested 20x20 bases for 15mm infantry with 4 models/base. I decided on 6 figures on a larger base because a)their suggestion means the base is a bit cramped and b)I like the aesthetic of sizeable battalions- more in keeping with the paintings showing long lines of infantry..

This was my decision, which of course this means I have, as usual, made myself a lot of work :roll: 30 models per battalion is expensive and time consuming.. why do I do this to myself :cry_blow:
Space Hulk

Bill

Post by Bill » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:49 pm

Thanks for info.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks Mark. I was also thinking about using 6 figure bases but just using 4 per battalion. That way they can represent any of the period formations (line, column of manoeuvre, column of march, etc) whilst the individual bases are big enough for a touch of diarama work, e.g. a wounded figure, sergeant with halberd ordering the ranks, etc.

Bill

Post by Bill » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 am

I would'nt mind borrowing a look at the rules as I have a War of the Spanish Succession Imperialist army painted in 10mm, Dutch unpainted. Plus unpainted 10mm AWI both sides.