Blood Eagle

Richard

Blood Eagle

Post by Richard » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:26 pm

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of the Blood Eagle Dark Ages Skirmish rules? Read a bit about them and they sound interesting but just wanted to check whether anyone had any opinions?
Thanks.

Kevin

Re: Blood Eagle

Post by Kevin » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Got the Japanese version, it's basically 'In Her Majesties Name' with specific rules for the 'period'. Due to this, does have an option for more 'fantasy/heroic' style games.

If anything like the Oriental version, or the 'Gothic' set, would be worth a look.

I would think that it would fit the gap under 'Saga' or 'Lion Rampant', as your usually looking at around a dozen models a side - or less - as standard.
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks Kev. From the bit I've read so far it seems there's much more individual characterisation which would fit in with what you say about numbers. I think Saga definitely needs the second edition (promised for next year but who knows :roll: ) to get it back to being genuinely fun to play (which it still is if you stick to the earlier Warbands, where everyone has strengths and weaknesses) but my fear is they will continue to favour the competition crowd. I've opted for Lion Rampant for my Dak Ages larger scale Skirmish games now and probably Sword & Spear when I have enough painted for larger scale battles. Meanwhile I think these rules could offer some fun games. :)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Funnily enough, I've moved to Lion Rampant for most of my Dark Age gaming (got rid of Saga). And am looking at 'Sword and Spear' (in 10mm) for larger games

I've taken Dragon Rampant up to 48pts without issues, so larger games are possible, and you can always 'borrow' the fantastical rules if you want a more 'Edda/Saga' feel.

One day I will finish the Alfred age 'Saxon' Lion Rampant force, then the generic Feudal force, and start the HYW French (around the time I draw my pension).
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Just as I've received some Christmas cash, Footsore Miniatures are looking to steal it off me by releasing some cracking looking Vikings! The first releases cover characters and Bondi (unarmoured warriors) and look ideal for these rules (as well as others). They certainly look the part for the earlier raids, where armour was rare, but are also suitable for the later armies when supplemented by some chainmail wearing Hearthguard. I already have some excellent Vikings from Warlord (the former - Saxon Miniatures range - yes the names are confusing!) which were produced by one of the brothers who started Gripping Beast a year or two ago! The question is, can you ever have too many Vikings... though that's probably a silly question really... :lol:

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Hi guys,

I picked up the Blood Eagle rules a couple of months ago and the "Saga" element of the rules looks like a lot of fun. It'd be brilliant to try and set a small Saga up and give the rules, warband creation and Saga mechanics a try :D