Pickett's Charge Rules

Richard

Pickett's Charge Rules

Post by Richard » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Named after a famous (infamous?) ACW disaster, I saw these rules being played this evening and was mightily impressed. They are written by Rob Brown (of General de Brigade fame) and produced by TooFatLardies. Tactical decisions and combat are at regimental level whilst Command and Control is based at Brigade level with each player taking the role of a Divisional General.
The basics are pretty straightforward as even I had grasped things after watching for less than half an hour but the rub is in the 'I'm rarely going to be able to do everything I want' restriction on the Commanding General, which is applied by way of ADC tokens. These tokens allow things like Command or movement re-rolls or concentrating an artillery bombardment to support an important attack (or defence) to reforming a Brigade that has been battered and vulnerable to a rapid advance to the rear! You start with one ADC per Brigade (of good standing) in your Division. However you must roll a D6 for each of these to see whether they are available or have been delayed carrying out a previous order. Needless to say you tend to zip along in the early part of the game but once you start engaging the enemy things can go downhill VERY quickly as the availability of ADC tokens drop quite quickly. Do you use an ADC token to try and reform a struggling Brigade or is more important to try and ensure another Brigade pushes home its attack? What about that Brigade that has become hesitant in the face of the enemy? Can you really afford to ignore it and just hope things improve? These are the type of decisions you must make each turn (all the above occurred several times during the game I watched). Whilst the actual tactical rules are quite easy to pick up, the constant decision making (and plain gambling on occasion!) reflects the friction of ACW warfare. The ACW regularly saw formations retire, rally and advance again and that is easily possible with these rules. The game also reflects the difficulty experienced by many an ACW General in exploiting a tactical breakthrough as the attackers are often so exhausted by their efforts as to be all but useless for some time whilst they rest and reform. Using your reserves well is a key aspect of the rules, just as it was in the war.

These have certainly reawakened my interest in the ACW... :roll:

For those more interested in the Napoleonic Wars then Mr Brown has recently produced a Napoleonic version ( also available from the TFL).

Bill

Re: Pickett's Charge Rules

Post by Bill » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:55 am

Any particular scale used, as i have 10mm.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 am

NO, NO, No, No, no, no ......................................... :? ;)
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

John

Post by John » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:36 pm

Does this mean I might also get a chance to bring out my 15mm ACW?
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Bill wrote:Any particular scale used, as i have 10mm.
As long as both sides have compatible basing then scale isn't an issue Bill. For 10mm scale the author suggests converting the inches for 28mm to cms, e.g. Unit in line moves 9cms (10mm scale) instead of 9 inches (28mm scale). Units are either Small (very battle worn), Standard (the average campaigning sized unit) or Large (recent recruits for Federals or some Early War units on both sides) which are distinguished by number of bases in the unit. As long as you can distinguish between these then it's pretty much up to you. No figure removal for casualties so you will need a marker.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:29 pm

Kevin wrote:NO, NO, No, No, no, no ......................................... :? ;)

YES, YES, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes......... :lol:

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:30 pm

John wrote:Does this mean I might also get a chance to bring out my 15mm ACW?
What you do in the privacy of your own home is up to you John! ;)