Bolt Action (WWII)

Richard

Bolt Action (WWII)

Post by Richard » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Thread for Bolt Action discussion...

Kris

Re: Bolt Action (WWII)

Post by Kris » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:05 am

Have just remembered I still have all my American stuff for Secrets of the Third Reich :oops: So since I wouldn't have to paint anything or even buy anything I would be interested after all :)

John

Post by John » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Kris, I also still have all my Secrets figures and have been dieing to use them, so if you want a game with them in the future, we can arrange something?
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:05 pm

If i bite at this (not sure), i'll likely do it in 15mm as that's what i'm working on for the Gear Krieg forces (Company B do do 28mm Gear Krieg Walkers - German and American at present, Japanese, Italian and Russian on the cards.

What period are the rules aimed at, as most seem to focus on the late war (44 onward). Gear Krieg does focus toward early/mid - up to around 43. Might get some Katchen's though :roll:
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:36 pm

Well although I have enough for a weak platoon (2 squads) of Americans and Germans in 28mm, I've also been giving thought to doing this in 15mm if I want to play at company level and look at different areas/periods of the war. However, even if I decide to go for 15mm (or even 20mm come to that!) I will still be keeping platoon sized forces for 28mm so those of you with WW II figures will still have some opposition.

The rules pretty much cover the whole war Kev. There will be army books out (the German one is due for release before the end of the month, the American before Christmas and the Brits and Russians in the New Year) BUT there are already basic lists for those nations in the appendix of the rules and they are certainly comprehensive enough for anyone with a bit of common sense to make up a platoon list. I think the lists may be most helpful with designating armour and weapon strength and examining some of the more distinctive units. The army lists in the book already offer each nation certain tactical advantages to reflect basic tactical doctrine. For example, the general superiority of leadership at squad level allows the Germans a 50% chance of high leadership privates taking over the squad if the NCO is put out of action. They also gain extra dice for their MG34's and 42's to reflect their superiority. On the other hand the Yanks don't get penalized for moving and firing due to their Garands and their willingness to expend loads of ammo to cover advances because, unlike many other nationalities, they had the ammo to spare. I don't know if the army books will re-examine these rules in situations where they might not apply, eg many of the 'Eastern' German units fighting in France post D-Day or American paratroops being enemy lines who certainly had to be more circumspect with their ammo or whether that will need to be a scenario issue.

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:32 pm

Where do ya get some good British 28mm forces?
"Ya want to play huh?...Play me!! "
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)
Bolt Action (Gerrys, Brit airborne, Ruskies, US Marines, Japs)
Sword and spear (Republican Romans)

John

Post by John » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:27 pm

To answer Dazz's question and to help anyone else, here are some manufacturers of 28mm figures: (Usual countries covered)
Artizan - Do Rifle platoons of 26 figures as well as Rifle sections of 10 figures and Blisters of 4 figures (British);
Black Tree - Do set of 20 or 64 figures and blisters of 4 figures (British);
Crusader - Do box sets of 24 figures and blisters of 4 figures;
Renegade - Only do British and German Wehrmacht - Regt set of 24 figures and blisters of 8 figures (Still do offers on Regt and Blisters);
Warlord - Designed for Bolt Action rules - Box set of plastic british - 25 figures;
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:59 am

Just to add that Renegade probably produce the cheapest figures. They have a neat range of British Airborne and have recently started producing British infantry. their figures are to the larger end of 28mm, ie they will physically dominate ranges like the Perrys (but they don't do WWII yet - though they are going to produce plastics for the North Africa campaign in the future). The German pics I put on this website are Renegade so you see they're not at all bad. They also have a 5-4-4 price offer on at the moment so a larger order (probably combined with someone else) would bring the cost down by a further 20%.

Anyway, here's the link mate...

http://renegademiniatures.com/

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks chaps.

When I get more time I'll have a good look... I'm thinking of a nice British airbourne regiment.

Good ole Tommy tackle out sausage side :D
"Ya want to play huh?...Play me!! "
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)
Bolt Action (Gerrys, Brit airborne, Ruskies, US Marines, Japs)
Sword and spear (Republican Romans)

Kris

Post by Kris » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:33 am

Rob at Firestorm has the rulebook in. He has also expanded his warlord range so has the starter boxes for most of the plastic infantry. He also has a few of their vehicles. I was talking to a couple of the Taff last night who were playing this and they thought it was a really good game.