Bolt Action - Rules Discussion only

Mark

Re: Bolt Action - Rules Discussion only

Post by Mark » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 pm

I have tried taking a leadership test to recce move in my last two games with Peter, and I must admit it made very little difference (I passed all the tests- of course I failed dismally with everything else :roll: ). I would however like to keep trying it in the game as I hope it gives a bit of uncertainty and does make you think twice.
Battlefleet Gothic: Imperial Navy
Bolt Action: British
DZC: Shaltari
40k: Imperial Guard
Space Hulk
X-Wing: Imperial & Rebel

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:42 am

Mark wrote:I have tried taking a leadership test to recce move in my last two games with Peter, and I must admit it made very little difference (I passed all the tests- of course I failed dismally with everything else :roll: ). I would however like to keep trying it in the game as I hope it gives a bit of uncertainty and does make you think twice.
Did it make you think twice about throwing the Recce vehicle forward? I think that was the intended result. I think as long as it does that, the adjusted rule might be alright because the one time that the test is failed and the recce unit doesn't back off there won't be a recce unit anymore.
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:07 pm

I agree that we needed to have some sort of 'brake' on the recce units in the game as it was getting a bit silly in my opinion. My Yanks can have a recce unit with a heavy a/t gun which is daft. If a failed command test will see the recce unit in serious trouble then I would certainly pause for thought... ;)

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:33 pm

Again, I think recce units should be used for exactly that, so you get plusses to your dice rolling for improved accuracy.

Especially for field artillery and other indirect fire weapons.

You'd probably see more of them then. ;)

I like the increased range idea.. I'm up for that :D
"Ya want to play huh?...Play me!! "
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)
Bolt Action (Gerrys, Brit airborne, Ruskies, US Marines, Japs)
Sword and spear (Republican Romans)

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Just to note- Warlord are releasing a second edition of the Bolt Action rules in the Autumn.. :ugeek:
Battlefleet Gothic: Imperial Navy
Bolt Action: British
DZC: Shaltari
40k: Imperial Guard
Space Hulk
X-Wing: Imperial & Rebel

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:05 pm

Mark wrote:Just to note- Warlord are releasing a second edition of the Bolt Action rules in the Autumn.. :ugeek:
Had the circular today...looks like they've incorporated all the errata and FAQ plus some minor changes but apparently no major changes. Well that's the theory anyway! :lol:

There's also going to be an alternative WW2 BA set of rules just for Kevin... ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Which is a stand alone product - so i should not need to buy both.

Got the flyer/newsletter too.
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

John

Post by John » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:05 pm

I'm just waiting to see the WWI version they are supposed to be writing!
And the alternative version is the rules for Konflikt 47 previously written by Clockwork Goblin Miniatures in both 28 and 15mm. I am wondering about these BA version and how they might be used with my "Secrets" figures.
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:53 pm

No John, the original 'Goblin' rulees were not based n Bolt action, and were tailored purely for 15mm, as that was all they produced at that time. Whilst the setting is the same, as are the toys, the rules have been completely refitted to use bolt action.

I would think that the 'non-occult' stuff will go well from the Secrets range, especially things like Drop Armour, Siberians aand so forth (Goblin omce released a CAD of a Soviet Bear/Wolfman tyoe thing with a Rocket launcher - cross between a Panzerfaust and RPG - so there maybe some hope for you).

And we need to get off this thread - not readly covering rules at present :twisted:
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Tibbles

Post by Tibbles » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:22 pm

For those who do not possess the Barbarossa book, a quote from the book is on Warlords site, regarding the use of 'looted' vehicles in service by the opposing force, shermans in the german army, as an example, its quoted at the bottom of the page for those interested

http://www.warlordgames.com/focus-captu ... lt-action/

Il quote it here as well, its right there on the link, so I am assuming its safe to post here, if its on their official site :lol:

Ostfront: Barbarossa to Berlin, page 91

In terms of Bolt Action, a strict application of the rules for force selection does not normally allow you to field tanks and guns from other forces – however, you can use captured vehicles and equipment as long as you pay the right points for them and they are taken simply to replace an equivalent ‘slot’. For example, a Soviet platoon could include a ‘captured’ 88mm anti-tank gun with Soviet crewmen, as long as it would take the 0–1 artillery slot allowed for that platoon and the right points were paid.

As a rule of thumb, we tend to apply one further limit when we allow forces to purchase enemy ‘captured’ vehicles and guns. We say that the unit can be purchased only as Inexperienced, or at best as Regular (if there are good records of a particular vehicle/gun being used in abundance by the enemy). This simulates the fact that the soldiers would be unfamiliar with the captured materiel, or if you prefer it can reflect the relative scarcity of its ammunition, spare parts etc., which would make its use and maintenance trickier. If you really want, and if you find an excellent historical reason for it, you can even allow the use of captured vehicles with a Veteran crew, but we feel they should then be penalised by adding the Unreliable rule to them (see below). This rule represents the same problems highlighted before, and ensures that only their rightful owners can make use of the vehicle or gun ‘at its best’, which seems just fair!

– Unreliable: a captured vehicle’s or gun’s chronic lack of ammunition and spare parts means it often suffers from extreme operational unreliability – if the unit suffers one or more pin markers as a result of an enemy attack, it automatically suffers one further pin marker in addition.
Current projects: Thousand Sons/Knight Questoris Crusade ( Legion 30K),Clan Zap-Zap (Skaven, Age of Sigmar)