Honours of War - SYW Rules

MrDwhitey

Re: Honours of War - SYW Rules

Post by MrDwhitey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:02 pm

Bah, the article on Imagi-nations in Wargames Illustrated 340 and 28mm models are giving me pause for thought. Thinking of getting out that copy of Beneath Lilly Banners I printed off..

I'll probably forget about it by tomorrow. :lol:
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:29 pm

MrDwhitey wrote:Bah, the article on Imagi-nations in Wargames Illustrated 340 and 28mm models are giving me pause for thought. Thinking of getting out that copy of Beneath Lilly Banners I printed off..

I'll probably forget about it by tomorrow. :lol:
I had some of my best ever wargames leading the army of the Grand Duke of Lorraine (basically a SYW style French army) against the Elector of Mainz (more of a Prussian force) when playing at the Wells club. I always felt it encourages a fun approach to gaming as you raise and paint imaginary units based on historical reality. I think the BLB rules are well suited to this and the figures from both Front Rank, Dixon and the company that produce BLB (can't remember their name at the moment) are amongst the nicest out there. :)

Get thee behind me David! :lol:

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:39 pm

Don't *** encourage me with that talk. :roll:

I've already been looking at the models from the League of Augsburg, lovely figures and regiment packs, now I have to go look at Front Rank (who I like from prior purchases), and Dixon. :roll:

*** Dixon has a army deal for £100, 4 infantry battalions, 2 cavalry regiments, 3 guns, and a limber.

I question their quality and poses though, and it may be safer to just get a battalion a month rather than be overwhelmed...

http://www.frontrank.com/product-catego ... uccession/

Those Grenadiers...

The ease of just ordering a full battalion from the League with those nice floppy hats though. Though most of them would be more models than needed so might be cheaper to buy individual from Front rank, at 18men a unit (not including a pike stand).

And like that ordered a battalion from the League. :cry_blow:
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:43 am

I like both FR and LoA ranges though they are quite different in style. The Front Rank figures are a little larger, edge it in detail and (for me) are easier to paint as the detail is more 'raised' (see the Grenadier pic) and the poses tend to be more 'open'. They also do the floppy hats if you check their late 17th Century range. The League figures have more active poses giving that 'fluid' look. You pays your money and makes your choice. Dixon used to be the leader in this period but (I think) they've been overtaken as their range must be well over 30 years old.

You've seriously tempted me this time David... :roll:

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:45 pm

David
There is also the excellent range from Ebor Miniatures which I forgot to mention. They generally have tricorns being a few years later and have excellent detail. They are also starting a Great Northern War range if you are interested - either historically or using the figures for Imagi-Nations. I noticed that Warfare Miniatures also now produce some very good looking GNW figures. Here's a link with a pic of the Swedish gun I just 'accidentally' ordered (borrowing a Davidism there!). :lol:

http://www.eborminiatures.com/products- ... ery-gnwa1/

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:38 pm

Oh dear. :roll:

Somewhat tempted to just do GNW Russians.

I should really lock down on getting my 15mm done though.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:11 pm

Picked up Honours of War and books covering the Austro/Hungarian SYW army in the Osprey 25% sale :ugeek:

I am looking at Blue Moon 15mm- and hope to pick up some at Salute (plus white paint!)

Will build this up as my next project as I complete my 28mm WW2 Brits..
Battlefleet Gothic: Imperial Navy
Bolt Action: British
DZC: Shaltari
40k: Imperial Guard
Space Hulk
X-Wing: Imperial & Rebel

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:12 pm

I shall have to start expanding on my Prussians soon then it seems. :lol:

Just ordered enough horse to make a brigade of cuirassiers to go alongside my current infantry.

I can't remember if I've posted this already, but it's a pretty good resource:

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Armies

Edit: Just started painting the test freikorp15 models I bought, the single unit of cuirassiers. They're ok, nothing special. Some problems with casting but for the price and the fact I wont be spending too much time painting them I'm happy enough.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:46 am

MrDwhitey wrote:I shall have to start expanding on my Prussians soon then it seems. :lol:

Just ordered enough horse to make a brigade of cuirassiers to go alongside my current infantry.

I can't remember if I've posted this already, but it's a pretty good resource:

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Armies

Edit: Just started painting the test freikorp15 models I bought, the single unit of cuirassiers. They're ok, nothing special. Some problems with casting but for the price and the fact I wont be spending too much time painting them I'm happy enough.
Just looked at this website- its an excellent resource!
Space Hulk

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:46 am

Before I part with hard-earned cash at salute- just to confirm that you have gone for 40 x 30 bases for your infantry David?

Also- any views on cavalry sizes yet? If not I will get the models and have a look...
Space Hulk