Honours of War - SYW Rules

Richard

Re: Honours of War - SYW Rules

Post by Richard » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Bill wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:33 pm
I had a closer read of rules today, It's a while since I read up on the period but I disagree with his description of Light infantry as far as i know the dedicated skirmish line to distrupt line battalions really did'nt exist till Napoleonic times.
I have definitely read about the French being in the vanguard of training a proportion of their line infantry battalions as 'light infantry' (Chasseurs) as early as the SYW BUT from what I remember these troops were then detached on campaign (in a similar way to Grenadiers) to perform tasks or missions as they arose. I would agree that I haven't read anything about their being used as light infantry Skirmish screens for their parent battalion during these period as later developed during the Revolutionary period.

Bill

Post by Bill » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:07 pm

As far as i knowr the French were the first two use thier light infantry to distrupt enemy lines because their line battalions were rubbish at shooting so usually attacked in column.

Bill

Post by Bill » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Just an update currently expecting to have five infantry battalions one cavalry regiment and a medium gun battery ready by end of week all in 10mm.

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Good work Bill! :D
Battlefleet Gothic: Imperial Navy
Bolt Action: British
DZC: Shaltari
40k: Imperial Guard
Space Hulk
X-Wing: Imperial & Rebel

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:07 pm

Enjoyed game with Mark last night and have decided with armies as a secondary project so i have parted with my cash and sent an order to Old Glory to cover the figures types i did not have (O no I have to paint 10mm Hussars Aghhh).

Bill

Post by Bill » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:09 am

Started painting the Old Glory cavalry i do not recommend them to anyone thinking of doing 10mm, horses are good but I do not like the seperate riders

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Separate riders at 10mm. :?
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

Bill

Post by Bill » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:31 pm

The horror !

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:04 pm

I know at least David and Mark purchased some Blue Moon 18mm figures for this so just letting you know that BM have just released a comprehensive range of artillery models for the Seven Years War and they look very nice indeed (see TMP for pics). I’ve been wondering for quite a while when they’d get around to these as they had produced the gun crews but not the actual gun models! Anyway, all sorted now!

Anyone want to post up how well the rules work for this period?

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks Rich- good to know as it is a bit annoying that nobody has a comprehensive range for this period.. I was looking at eureka for the cannon..

Bill and I had a game in 10mm and I thought it played well (not sure if Bill agreed?) Consensus was that the game played best with several brigades as it is quite fast and deadly. However I felt it encouraged and represented linear tactics quite well.

Having a number of brigades makes a huge playing area in 28mm so am currently re-thinking basing size (again) with a view to using the 20mm scale frontage and distances. Was originally using 6x 15mm figures on a 40mm wide base, going to try squeezing them on a 30mm base to achieve this..

Given my glacial speed of painting this is a long term project..
Battlefleet Gothic: Imperial Navy
Bolt Action: British
DZC: Shaltari
40k: Imperial Guard
Space Hulk
X-Wing: Imperial & Rebel