Waterloo - Quelle Affaire

Peter

Waterloo - Quelle Affaire

Post by Peter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:23 pm

I recently received my copy of this game and I'm quite impressed with the rules as well as the board and counters. I opted to back the game on kickstarter because I'm intrigued by the background but have no inclination to paint up enough models to faithfully depict the period (I tried when I was younger but the painting was tough going). The game turn revolves around the use of activation cards to move units and the playing of the "open fire" card which allows all of your units that are in position to fire. Playing this at the right point seems to be key to victory (too early will mean you have an ineffective attack but leaving it too long gives your opponent a chance to play his card first and thus dictate the course of the battle).

The game offers two sorts of play. Either a historical set-up or a fictional (night before the battle) set up to offer a different way to play. I attempted to play a historical game as a run through and was enjoying it until I realised that I got a few rules wrong (mainly resulting in me being able to rout Hougemont on the second turn) and it was too late to start again.

If anyone would like to offer to be my guinea pig for a full blown game, then let me know.
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC

Richard

Re: Waterloo - Quelle Affaire

Post by Richard » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:54 pm

I hope your other half doesn't see you advertising for partners for an Affaire... :roll:

Let me know when you want to give it a go Peter. If it's painting figures that's (understandably) holding you back then you might want to give Blucher a go. I've played it a few times now and always enjoyed it.

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Richard wrote:I hope your other half doesn't see you advertising for partners for an Affaire... :roll:

Let me know when you want to give it a go Peter. If it's painting figures that's (understandably) holding you back then you might want to give Blucher a go. I've played it a few times now and always enjoyed it.
:lol:

I've not heard of Blucher. How is the game played? (I've had a tiny peek at the thread David started but am still lost)

I'll bring the game along in February. I need to find out which weeks I'm allowed out of the house.

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:54 pm

Hi Peter
Blucher is a set of Napoleonic wargames rules that can be played either with miniatures or cards. The cards are very attractive and depict the troop type of the unit, eg cavalry, infantry, artillery of various abilities plus information on strength and morale,etc. At club I've played a game with David (who owns the rules and cards) and Chris and enjoyed both games. Also played a couple of games at Cardiff a couple of months back though that was a bit more 'intense'... :roll:

I should think there'll be some videos demonstrating the game online somewhere or other if you want a closer look. We did discuss buying miniatures (6mm?) but decided against it as the cards look really attractive on the tabletop.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:07 am

I will be at club on either the 14th or 28th of Feb if you would like to try Quelle Affaire.

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:01 pm

Peter wrote:I will be at club on either the 14th or 28th of Feb if you would like to try Quelle Affaire.
At the moment I can make either mate. ;)

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Richard wrote:
Peter wrote:I will be at club on either the 14th or 28th of Feb if you would like to try Quelle Affaire.
Let's put 14th in the diary?

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Peter wrote:
Richard wrote:
Let's put 14th in the diary?
Ok Peter. It's on the calender! ;)

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:31 pm

Not sure how many members are interested in this period but for those that are, I'm currently reading Waterloo by Bernard Cornwell, of Sharpe novels fame. Although I've read quite a few books on the subject I am particularly enjoying this one and would recommend it for at least three reason:
1. Being a very experienced novelist, Cornwell really does know how to tell a story and this comes through in a very interesting, yet easy to read, narrative.
2. He incorporates a massive amount of first hand accounts of both the battle and campaign which really put you'there'. This, for me, is the best kind of history.
3. Cornwell is not afraid to challenge some sacred cows and even when I am unsure of his conclusions, I have to admit they are reasonably argued.

I still have about a third of the book to go and, having picked up a really horrible sleep depriving virus, I'm hoping to finish it this week as there's no way I'm up to just about anything at the moment other than reading. :(

Highly recommended, especially if you aren't the type to read factional battle/campaign accounts.