Wings of Glory go large..

Dazz

Wings of Glory go large..

Post by Dazz » Wed May 11, 2016 11:59 am

I'm not into flying games much however I've always been fascinated by WW1 bi-planes..

I keep meaning to get into WoG but other stuff just keeps elbowing its way in (we all know that feeling).

There is a large selection of 1/72 scale WW1 planes out there and I personally would gain as much satisfaction from building and painting them as I would then playing with them.

So on the back of an idea banded about at the club I've started this thread to bring up any other idea's or interest in playing the game.

I'm definitely going to buy a couple of planes ready to chocks away and hit the sky's..

Who else fancies bringing their Ace to the aerodrome?
"Ya want to play huh?...Play me!! "
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)
Bolt Action (Gerrys, Brit airborne, Ruskies, US Marines, Japs)
Sword and spear (Republican Romans)

Peter

Re: Wings of Glory go large..

Post by Peter » Wed May 11, 2016 12:36 pm

I really enjoy wings of glory, so I'm intrigued by how this would work. Up-scaling the planes would need an upscale in range rulers and maneuver deck. So until I see how that works and keeps the fun of the game, I wouldn't be buying in.

For me, part of the appeal of the game is that if I have a game arranged and fancy trying something new I can pop on amazon and purchase a plane that takes my fancy and I'm ready to go. Wouldn't up-scaling like this require me to buy the corresponding plane so that I get a maneuver deck for my new plane?
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Wed May 11, 2016 1:12 pm

I only have a rough idea how the game works Peter so you are right in that the movement cards would need upscaling.

One of the main attractions to this for me is the building and painting of the model.

So I can fully understand that its not going to appeal to a lot of people.
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed May 11, 2016 11:07 pm

I don't think it would be an issue if just playing within the club but if you are thinking of putting on a game at a public show then it may be worthwhile checking the copyright situation if you intend photocopying the flight cards, just to be on the safe side.
I like the idea but simply have too many things on the go at the moment to 'double up' on my existing WOG stuff. Might well get a plane or two in the future just for the fun of painting them up but it wouldn't be this year.

John

Post by John » Wed May 11, 2016 11:49 pm

I must say I never even thought of Copyright Richard! I thought that was only if I tried to sell anything from the game! :?
What I planned on doing was using 1:72nd scale aircraft (Twice as large as WoW/G), then scanning the cards which come with the WoW/G planes and reprinting them at double size. The Damage cards etc would stay as they were! I was thinking of building little *** for the cards instead of the trays/boards used in WoW/G.
For the Plane bases, as the planes are plastic, using thick plastic rods with magnets glued inside the plane and washers fitted to top of plastic rods. Was not initially planning on using altitude so rods would be one piece. The bases would be clear heavy duty plastic with marks for MG lines.
For aircraft, was planning on Sopwith Camels and SE5as for Allied and Albatross Dv and Pfalz D111 for Axis with a Focker Dr1 added to the mix. Already have movement cards for these aircraft.
Also unsure about special damage counters - would try some games without them, then add them and see what people prefered.
I was hoping that people would join in and buy their own planes so they can paint them as individuals, especially the Axis, although allied command did allow some pilots to add extras to their basic painting scheme.
I mentioned doing a game at Crusade simply because I was doing this anyway and it could possibly be used to show the club!
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Thu May 12, 2016 7:08 am

Well I'm definitely up for it John..

So we have a game ;)

You'll have to teach me to play :D

As for copyrighting I seriously doubt the game will be played outside the club.

I also intend to buy the main game so I have a copy of the rules myself.
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Thu May 12, 2016 8:26 am

Once we have a couple of 1/72 scale planes ready to go, is it worth playing a game or two with the normal cards?

It might work, just a thought..
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu May 12, 2016 9:30 am

In regard flight stands, try ariels from cars, etc.. The telescope and generally have a 'cap' so fitting a magnet to them is simples.
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Thu May 12, 2016 9:54 am

Kevin wrote:In regard flight stands, try ariels from cars, etc.. The telescope and generally have a 'cap' so fitting a magnet to them is simples.
Nice one Kev, cheers :D
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu May 12, 2016 1:31 pm

I appreciate you aren't out to make any money John but copyright isn't just about money, it also extends to the originators control of the use of and reproduction of their product. It's a bit of a minefield but different products allow different amounts of reproduction of the original for different purposes. Hence, you will often see permission granted to the purchaser of a set of rules to photocopy various charts or cards for use in a game but they are not granted permission to change those charts in any way. As I said, if it's just for club then I can't see it being an issue. As you are talking about a public demo then I'd check it out first just to be on the safe side but I'm just naturally cautious over such things.