Sword and Spear

John

Sword and Spear

Post by John » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:11 am

How many people have these rules and a force for them?
I remember several people talking about doing a 15mm force for them, but was wondering how many actually got a force and what they were?
I have a Mycenaean almost on the table as well as an Early Imperial Roman. I was planning on also getting a British force to face my EIR.
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Re: Sword and Spear

Post by Kevin » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:11 am

It's somethin I am looking at again as I have the 2nd edition rules and a liking for Ancient/Medieval (well more Dark Age onward) Battles. If (when) I do this, its likely to be done on 80mm frontage bases with either 10/12 or 15/18mm figures (the 10/12 are in the lead as an option, as I like 'lots' of figures, though don't want to go 6mm - and the detail on some of the 10/12mm is as good as 15/18mm - though someone recently brought the old Corvus Beli 15mm range, which was sweet).

More likely to look at the Medieval periods, though a Greek or Etruscan force would be nice (have to hodge-podge that one from Greek/Samite ranges I think), but I am a butterfly as far as things like this go, so could be swayed.

As John said, I would be nice to know if other are interested/have forces - and for which periods and what figure size ('mm' is not a scale).
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:31 pm

I've been painting a Theban army for these and the To the Strongest rules as they use compatible basing for units. A couple of the guys down this way also base on 40mm square bases for even more flexibility (e.g. L'Art and Hail Caesar) and then just double them up for TTS but I'm going with the 80mm frontage as I like to include the odd diorama bit and it's easier to move units around the table.
If anyone is thinking of figures for the Classical Period then I strongly recommend Xyston Miniatures. The figures are excellent - really 'pop' when painting - and are amongst the easier paint jobs. They also seem to keep their detail on the tabletop much better than other 15mm figures - though this may be due to them being the larger 18mm scale! I'm very pleased with the ones I've completed. :)

John

Post by John » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Well I have based my Myceneans on 80mm frontage bases, but with differing depths, usually based of double base depth from DBA sizes. I have some 10mm EIR for Warmaster ancients which are on the 40mm bases, which I intend to initially just double up for S&S. As I have some 25mm Arthurian figures for Bux Bell, the bases I use are individually based on 20 x 20 or 25 x 25 mm bases, which are then fitted to 120mm frontage bases with either 4 figures set disjointed in 1 rank for Skirmish bases and 10 or 8 figures in 2 ranks for formed foot or warbands.
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Peter

Post by Peter » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:16 pm

I have my myceneaen force in 15mm and I've put them on bases that I think are 40mm x 10mm tho I need to measure to be sure. I've got 28mm Carthaginians as well that I need to build and base up this year amongst many other projects.
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:38 am

I've got 28mm Republican Romans, however they're not even nearly ready to play yet.
They're on my 2017 to do list. :D
"Ya want to play huh?...Play me!! "
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)
Bolt Action (Gerrys, Brit airborne, Ruskies, US Marines, Japs)
Sword and spear (Republican Romans)

Dazz

Post by Dazz » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:46 am

Peter wrote:I have my myceneaen force in 15mm and I've put them on bases that I think are 40mm x 10mm tho I need to measure to be sure. I've got 28mm Carthaginians as well that I need to build and base up this year amongst many other projects.

...and now you've got me looking at Carthaginians :roll:
"Ya want to play huh?...Play me!! "
Warhamer (WoC Khorne).
40k (IG)
Mordhiem (10+ warbands)
Infinity (Ariadna) (CA)
Bolt Action (Gerrys, Brit airborne, Ruskies, US Marines, Japs)
Sword and spear (Republican Romans)