Air brush system & Paint range.

Robbie

Air brush system & Paint range.

Post by Robbie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi all. I have been out of the hobby a long time and would like some advice on paint brands. I am also planning on trying my hand at airbrushing and could do with recommendations on popular systems that are in use.
From what little I know, Vallejo model paints seem to be popular, what is the opinion on this brand?

Regards

Robbie
Rommel, you magnificent bas****! I read your book!

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Air brush system & Paint range.

Post by Matt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:00 pm

Hi Robbie,

Vallejo have the Air range but I've never used them. I tend to thin down the GW paints but I haven't done anything with my airbrush other than undercoat models!

Others might have more experience!

Matt
X-Wing | Bolt Action | Infinity | Mordheim | Dropzone Commander | Wolsung

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi Matt. Just noticed that Vallejo do both the brush paints and airbrush paints. Probably be a good idea to use this brand as they do the set. Am currently trying to find info on what airbrush systems would suit my needs.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:21 pm

Vallejo are very good paints - I mostly use them for my WW II figures. I don't use an air-brush but I know Alan actually uses some of the Vallejo air paints with brushes as they work so well. They also produce specific uniform and camo paints for WW II colour schemes.

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:29 pm

I've been moving over to Vallejo paints for the last year or so,using both Model and Air ranges and even though the Air range does seem thinner the coverage is just as good as other brands.
(Though I haven't used them for undercoating yet)
Warhammer 40K Orks.Warhammer Fantasy Chaos.Firestorm Armada Aquans.Sword and Spear 10mm Egyptians.Sword and Spear 28mm Gauls.Dropzone Commander UCM.
AGOT card game (1st edition) Greyjoy
Infinity Haqqislam
Batman Miniatures Two Face

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:35 pm

As far as airbrushes go,it was something I pondered about this time last year but after research found that I couldn't afford one at the time.Like all equipment it seemed that quality was based on price(and I'm the sort of person who fritters away money stupidly!)so I decided to stop myself before i ended up forking £100 + :)

There's loads of tutorials out there on the net and buyers guide so it shouldn't be that much of a minefield when looking for your best buy
Warhammer 40K Orks.Warhammer Fantasy Chaos.Firestorm Armada Aquans.Sword and Spear 10mm Egyptians.Sword and Spear 28mm Gauls.Dropzone Commander UCM.
AGOT card game (1st edition) Greyjoy
Infinity Haqqislam
Batman Miniatures Two Face

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like the airbrush paints may be good for washes as well as airbrush.
I will probably buy the brush paints and new brushes first, that will give me time to research airbrush and still get started collecting and painting miniatures. And of course I will have to factor in what rule systems I'm going to have purchase also. I'm a sucker for paints n inks so will probably spend to much!
As for undercoating what brands do a good range in spray cans?
Want to get started ASAP so building a list of what I need. Bolt action late war and muskets & Tomahawks Indian wars are probably going to be my first purchase, so looks like ill need a good range.

Phil

Post by Phil » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi Robbie, nice to meet you mate. I've been playing around with mine for awhile now. I've found the GW paints can be a pain with an airbrush, they keep blocking it up :shock: Been using the vallejo airbrush paints and they work nicely. I'm using a iwatta neo which i'm more than happy with.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:16 am

I've tried various manufacturers undercoat/basecoat sprays but now I use Halfords! Considerably cheaper and no worries about a 'gleam' that often occurred with GW or a 'texture' that tended to happen with Warlord unless you got the spraying distance spot on. Since switching I've not had any problems whatsoever.

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:31 pm

Cheers for the info guys. I found this starter set online but am unsure about the airbrush. I believe its a good make but its theyre starter brush and I'm not sure if its a good investment.
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/vallejo/v ... 10201.html