Matt's Adventures with a Airbrush

Matt
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Matt's Adventures with a Airbrush

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:30 pm

I've had my airbrush long enough now to actually try and do something useful with it!

For those who have seen the Angel Giraldez painting guide you'll know he has produced some fairly comprehensive step-by-step guides for painting Infinity figures.

Well, stupidly, I am going to try and follow one of the guides as best I can. The following posts are the beginning of my attempts to paint two Nomad Gecko's using his technique.

Hold on tight...this may be a bumpy road!
X-Wing | Bolt Action | Infinity | Mordheim | Dropzone Commander | Wolsung

Matt
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Matt's Adventures with a Airbrush

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Step 1

A black undertcoat. The easy bit! I didn't even clog the nozzle!

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Step 2

A pre-shading step. Here I'm adding grey areas to the model so that the red coat will be more vibrant.

In the Giraldez book, he does this in one step but I didnt have the same colour so I did a dark grey highlight and a lighter grey highlight.

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Step 3

A white highlight. I've painted this in where I want the red to be most vibrant.

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:40 pm

Step 4

This is the first red coat. I've painted all the red areas being careful to leave some nice white highlights.

It's not obvious in the photo, but the pre-shading has paid off. The graduation in the colours has worked really nicely!

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Step 5

Red Shading

I've carefully sprayed a darker red in to the recesses of the armour and the areas that need to be darker. Again, this doenst really show too well in the photo.

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Next, I need to paint all the black bits black again!

More to follow!

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:55 pm

Preshading! I remember doing that last year. It's fun isn't it? :lol:

Very nice red result.
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:04 pm

Cheers! Pre-shading is so last year :lol:

I'm pleased so far!

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Looks good.

You're a braver man than me to try copying Giraldez. I want to but I'm not confident on the results. Plus I don't own an airbrush. :lol:
Minis painted in 2017: 120
Minis assembled in 2017: TBC