Wild West Exodus

Kevin

Re: Wild West Exodus

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Just noticed the Firestorm have the original 'Enlightened' starter in their clearance section of £13.50 (from around £50). Not a faction I'm keen on, but at that price, as a War Cradle have discontinued all the old starters, might be worth a look for those interested.

Enlightened is the 'Steampunk/Augment faction, so walking mechanical copses and so on.
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:44 pm

The problem is they've started preorders and the prices are just awful.

Infinity and above level pricing, for a game which has squads.

It's killed my interest almost instantly.
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Looking at it, they seem to be pandering to the 'many heroes make a posse' starter option, so no hired hands in the starters other that support weapon upgrades. This fits with how I have seen people on FB and YT building posses, though it's not for me.

Oddly, the models don't seem that much more expensive than they currently are, and you can still pick up the 'old' models and hired hands from Wayland and evilBay at present.

Still going to build my Watcher's (eventually), and have Megan on the side of the paint table at present.
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Looking at a review of one (warrior nation) of the new starter sets, they appear to be building them to a '1 model a bullet' structure, though some would require using the additional options available on some 'bullets' (for those unaware, force building is set up on a 'pistol chamber' pattern, with each 'choice' being one bullet in the chamber)

It does appear that the hand units in the starters (basic troops - Faces are Characters and the Boss (who does not require a 'chamber', though you still pay points for and may alter the chamber listing) is your leader) are single figure groups (thy can have 1-3 models, with adds taking them up to a max of 6) which have taken the heavy weapon upgrade.

I suppose this is a clever piece of marketing, as purchase of a hands box will be usable and you already have the support/heavy weapon option. It still doesn't sit that right with me though too be fair, I wanted a skirmish game (which this can be - though at WarmaHordes/Malifaux prices) not another character heavy game.
(being fair, this is mostly down to list building - though the way the starters are structured and the online input points toward it)