Shadows of Brimstone

Kevin

Re: Shadows of Brimstone

Post by Kevin » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:24 pm

As I have little left to watch, and can't be bothered to paint today, I've been reading the rules and BBG forum - interesting fact arose.

In regard to growing dread cards, the current ones that tend to screw over the group in the final fight (usually by the darkness escaping), if all active heroes collectively spend 1 grit each (not including KO'd heroes, but at the start of the final fight that should not be an issue) a growing dread card may be 'cancelled' (effect doesn't work).

And this choice can be made after the card is revealed - so you can await the 'move 2 spaces on the Darkness track' card and grit it away (if people save their grit).
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:06 am

Couple of things I found.

Certain Sermons do nasty things to you if you roll a double when casting (mainly Judgement/offensive ones).

You can only have 'One' special ammunition type running at one time, but it counts for all guns until end of adventure/ammunition swapped.

You change/equip at the start of your activation, so if you use a rifle on Initiative 5, your stuck with it till you act again.

If an item has a 'hand' symbol, you only get the benefits it gives if you equipped it.

You can only make a 'ranged' OR 'melee' attack in a turn (why Cavalry Sabre exists - using it doesn't count as duel wielding). You can duel wield 2 melee weapons, you still get critical hits, use your combat score and use the effects of BOTH weapons.
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

Marc

Post by Marc » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:08 pm

That last one is an interesting point I would have thought you'd be able to do both as it's one attack phase but only being able to do one or the other makes things more tactical to a degree as you'd have to be mindful about what you commit too and also how much gear your carrying as essentially you could end up with up to 5 weapons in order to cover everything

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm

You can still shoot people in melee, just your either using melee weapons (which tend to have more bonuses/options), or guns.

Cavalry Sabre let's you have a sword and pistol combo, and doesn't count as duel wielding (do critical hits available). It's more about the effects, both yours and the monsters.

Agree though, makes you think.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Also the way damage should work (we've not been doing it wrong, just specifically) is that you work out how many hits, generate damage and the apply this (highest first) to adjacent enemies. If you have melee weapons and run out of enemies before you do damage, tough. With guns, you continue to reach out and touch.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Enjoyed the game Sunday, even if the scavenge deck and some timing issues didn't always work as wished.

Like the new enemy (Slugs), going to be even worse next time as due to level 4 characters all enemies now have 2 free elite abilities :lol: .

And for the next game, I'll do 2 things - have both Epic Threat beasties finished (just built the Goliath), and Will look at 'themed' decks for the Mine (using some Targa tiles), and also Encounter, Darkness and Threat decks.

You have been warned.

(and Marc, just so you know, though your new ability allows you to re-roll a re-roll, you can still only do it once. Just imagine if you could re-roll all re-rolls, basically you couldn't miss.)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Just had an update on the KS - apparently all the UK pledges are now on a boat heading toward us. This means that things can really open up in the new year, as I will have loads more other worlds, additional character types (though the game is still limited to 6 players) - around 18 I believe, and many more threats/monsters (Ho, Ho, Ho !).

Marc

Post by Marc » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:35 am

Yea my understanding of it was I could trigger my initial re roll which allows me to re roll one dice from each pistol and if that didn’t improve the roll I could trigger my other ability and re roll again and if I wanted to use a grit I could potentially re roll 3 times, I hope I’m understanding that correctly

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 am

Can't re-roll a re-roll (without your ability). Grit is something different, as you can re-roll as many or few die as you need.

So;

Initial roll of six die - 1,2,2,3,5,6 (1 gun 1,3,6, other 2,2,5)

Spend one grit to re-roll all 4-5 non '6' shots (you could keep the '6') OR use your re-roll ability (which actually makes no sense) for each gun (First/Only re-roll).

with your new ability, you could then - after spending Grit - re-roll a further miss with each gun (Second/Ability re-roll).

Where it would get complicated is if you have an item which gives further re-roll (dark stone upgrades, gear/artifact). But you can still ONLY re-roll a re-roll ONCE.

So keep that grit handy, as it's likely to be your first stop.

- Does mean that with your pistol (x2) you get 3 shots, then the first ability allows you to re-roll a missed Die each pistol, then the second ability allows you to re-roll that again if it misses. Should give you on average 2 hits with each pistol, and if you start with '6' that gives 'lots' of hits.