Blog 2017 - Kevin's Random Wanderings

Kevin

Re: Blog 2017 - Kevin's Random Wanderings

Post by Kevin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:58 pm

And all the medium and high threats (from city of the ancients) are based and have their basecoat/basic paint on, and the spiders (I still don't like them) are base coated.

And I just spent 2 hrs of my life going through various online forums for Shadows to find an answer to the question of outlaw pistols and guns blazing - finally found an answer from a game designer on BBG (and than bookmarked the Shadows thread, all 64 pages of it), so I have a valid answer - see shadows thread for the answer.
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Must say I'm actually enjoying my time spent in the mines of Brimstone, even though I'm not actually directly playing - just acting as a human element in the game's AI.

Funnily enough, the bit I seem to be getting most from is the character development section (which is odd as I'm not directly involved). I have spent a fair few hours trying to develop appropriate ways to control the various cards and so on, having now got to type II character sheets, but they may evolve further (currently thinking on mounting photocopies of cards that each player has, so that everyone has copies of all their equipment.
(current mark of character sheet has a modified character tile, so stat changes can be notes, along with the starting equipment and upgrade, and personal item -stuff you can't give away - mounted on them). If I do go just equipment cards, the character sheet will not need anything other than the tile and starting upgrade, so I may go that way for the next version (and do male/female versions of each card).

Funnily enough, this hasn't stopped me painting models - though it only appears to be Shadows models - so it has not been a none productive period. What the painting side of things has done is again push the gaming review to the fore.

So, I think my plan for this month will be as follows ;-

1. Finish up the remaining 'Shadows of Brimstone' models (that's 3 Night Terrors, The Harbinger, The Goliath (which isn't even built) and the 4 character models).
2. Sort out the Card/Character options for the players before the next game (currently have MK II sheets done).
3. (and here's the big one). A full and 'honest' review of the stuff I have laying around, based on the following ;
- Do I still have an interest in it.
- Has it been finished/is it ready to use.
- Have I started it, or am I likely too.
- How much use would I actually get from it if kept (does it have multi-setting/gaming function).

Using the above as a guide, I should hopefully be able to realistically review the current projects that clutter up my gaming areas, and also to narrow my focus on to games/projects that I will actually do something with.
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Work continues on the 'Shadows' character debate - currently have set up bags for all characters with any tokens, 1 grit, and carried over wounds/sanity lost, Dark stone and so on.

Also have the first 16 (photo)copies of cards mounted on a thin card and under a pile of books to cure. Will then cut out and cover with clear plastic. With these I will then only need to work out the character tile to allow for characteristic changes, damage tracks and so on (have the type II sheet at present, though it does not track character level/experience, Corruption, Development Track and Madness/Injury/Mutant or Gold (wounds, grit, dark stone and side bag tokens can be handled by the counter bags/packs)).

And my copy of the 'Runequest: Roleplaying in Glorantha' quick start RPG rules have arrived. It's the new version of the fantasy RPG I have a great liking for (unusually for me, it's single genre as I tend to like/prefer 'open' systems that can cover many genre - Savage Worlds or Hero (the old Champion) system - , though the depth of background for this system (and I was playing it in 2nd edition (this one is the 7th) when I was in school, so 1980) has been reintroduced. I think it will be my reading material for the near future.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:19 pm

So, no progress on the painting side of the hobby, but as far as the 'thought process' in regard to 'Shadows of Brimstone' I have been a busy little Kbog. (has helped that I haven't had the best week health wise, so not actually that active over this week).

I have found a site that allows for the creation of cards (it has templates for many and various cards), so I now have started to produce cards for the level advancement skills that characters have, along with cards for equipment (I have produced card options for the bullet types that John carries).

Due to this, I have a question for players - the site gives me an option to produce cards for 'Injury/Madness/Mutation', so do you want me to do so, or are you looking at dropping these as soon as able (not you David, I know your a special case)?

Currently I have not placed gear/artifacts onto a card back, as if people sell these items I can just have a collection of paper tiles for these (on the game players pick them up, I with use the cards from the game, so if sold, not an issue - if kept I will provide a paper tile unless you want to keep it - then I will card it. (I already have a card prepared for a double barrel shotgun Bill).

And work continues to the character tile MK III. When sorting these, I will also include the other 4 character types, will produce both male and female tiles, and the cards will have space for Level, experience and Gold (I'm thinking on putting a tile/sticker in/on the small 'Zip-Lock' bag in regard to side bag limit), and will still need to sort something out around corruption (could include that with the Side bag?).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Paul put up an interesting post on the Facebook page - 'if you could only ever play one game, what would it be?'.

Not sure I can safely answer that one, as you all know I tend to wander, and also focus on the 'fringe' games out there.

If I had to pick, currently 'Shadows of Brimstone' wins hands down. Lots of options and replay value.

Otherwise I think that 'Dragon Rampant' would be it - though mainly due to the fact that it would allow me to build forces that could be used for other systems and still use them for it. Cheating really.

But our hobby is so diverse, I think I would be quite difficult, and also somewhat sad (my apologies to those that focus solely on one game system, or even just one army/force) that I would be unable to experience the breath of variety - even if I would never play the game - our current hobby offers.

I'm too much of a butterfly for this to take effect, but currently I am honestly trying to reduce my spread of gaming involvement - as funds only go so far.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Week has actually been quite productive in that I actually got some painting done (though mainly Shadows, so I suppose that it's not really a move forward). Otherwise I've spent my time either reading or watching TV (on the PC/Laptop).

Due to having a seat on the Dresden RPG at Dragondaze (which is now confirmed), I have started rereading all the Dresden Chronicles from book one (on book 5 at present, there are 13). Modern Urban fantasy, so I like lots.

As far as TV goes, I've managed to watch all of the 'Defenders', which I enjoyed. Also the entire 2007 Series of Flash Gordon (21 episodes), which had it's moments but was not good (though I might steal the Uniform colour design worn by Ming). I have also kept up with 'Killjoys', 'Wynonna Earp', 'Preacher' and my current favourite 'Blood Drive'. I really cannot describe how freaky and off the wall this is, though I doubt it will be to everyone's taste.

Hopefully I will get some more stuff painted through next week, and deal with whatever evilBay sends my way (decided to sell a lance of 4 painted plastic mechs, and not really useful ones (Banshee, Jagermech, Catapult and Hunchback), currently at £17 - I think I might try to sell more of the plastic models ;) , as they were the second force).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:39 pm

With the collapse of various gaming companies recently, I have again had to reconsider my current 'Lead/plastic/resin' pile. Though I like the design of the miniatures for Relics, I never actually played the system and only painted up one force (Neum). I have 2 others, and think I am likely to dump one of them - most likely the twisted fairies over the H P Lovecraft inspired beasties.

Evilbay has been good, with the Ghar force selling, just leaves the rules to move on. And I might sort out and list a few more Battletech lances for the Sword of Light Regiment, as the last one sold for £17 (4 plastic mech models, painted though).

Just need to remember I will need something to sell at the table sale in October at Firestorm