Blog 2017 - Kevin's Random Wanderings

Kevin

Re: Blog 2017 - Kevin's Random Wanderings

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm

And finally got some painting done - the Astorian models are now finished, Goliath built and undercoated.

Just need to keep bit up for rest of year, as new year brings new plans.
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:12 pm

So, the painting (and model building, more Asterian Cyphers) continues, with me also having completed another set of Cyphers, including the one I needed and a weapon platform. Also, the 6 Martians, along with 2 Bugs and handlers. And I now have 24 fully painted 'Sword of Light' Battlemechs.

I've also decided that NOTHING NEW goes on the painting table for the rest of the year (long time, huh), as I have enough on the table to be going on with.
Shadows of Brimstone // Dragon Rampant // Frostgrave // Relics // Godslayer // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Dropzone Commander // Battletech (War of 3039 - Clan Invasion) // Armoured Clash (Dystopian Wars) // Dreadball //

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:20 pm

Due to my lousy self control, made a slight change to the 'nothing new on the paint table' rule - instead I won't buy any new modelling/hobby supplies for the period mentioned. So, that should have a restricting effect on what I can do, and as such limit my available options.

I still continue to 'downsize' my current gaming pool, and will probably spend most of December thought planning for next year. My current feeling is to focus on the more obscure skirmish games (Twilight, Relics) which don't require large amounts of models, and then build them to 'Dragon Rampant' sized forces. And Necromunda, must not forget Necromunda. Goliaths first, Escher are likely to be left in the box if other gangs come out in quick succession.

I'll probably start next years thread between Xmas and New Year. So expect things that never happen, plans missed and somewhat wild tangents - in other words, the usual.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Well, first effect of my pledge for the month kicked in - ran out of certain paint, don't have another so can't start new project (other than build the models and base them).
Not a complete issue, as mostly just effects basing, so I had enough left to finish the Martians completely (need to paint a final Bug for the 1000(well, 970) points), but can finish off models if not bases.

Productive day otherwise, current Martians are 60% finished, Asterian around 75%, 4 Mech's around 50%, and a few more bits and pieces at a lesser stage. Did finish (not base) a 'Strange Aeons' beastie (which you may have seen on FB).

And once I got the table clear, it's now covered again with various models which I'm unsure if I want to keep (interestingly, I don't feel the need to get rid of/move along these, just not sure they will be any direct use), mainly Wild West Exodus Dark Nation/Hex, and Wrath of Kings Hadross. The pile of various models of different sources remains, as does the Godslayer Reaver force (must say whilst I like Godslayer, not sure on it anymore).

Also wondering about the 15mm Sci-Fi models I have squirreled away. The Plastic Battlemechs are selling, and I'm actually painting up a fair amount of them for this, so all's good there.

It seems next year might be a year of Fantasy Skirmish gaming, as (with the exception of Necromunda and Shadows of Brimstone) that seems to be my focus. Whether for Dragon Rampant (everything has to be usable for Dragon Rampant), not really bothered over what system is used, do I guess 28-32mm models are the way to go.

And will be attempting to limit 'oh, shiny' (apart from Necromunda) next year - some hope - as I've booked myself a long weekend on Brummie for the UK Games Expo. Oh, my poor credit card (I shall start saving now).
So, apart for the 'thought planning' for 2018, all is going well.