2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Kevin

Re: 2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Post by Kevin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Figure count for end of this month - 56. So that's around 102 so far this year.
Dragon Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Age of Sigmar // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Battletech (3039-3058) // Armoured Clash

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:45 pm

Due to not going to Cardiff today (loving the weather, not), I decided to put out some of my models (mostly finished) on the gaming table to see what I have. I did not unpack the Dragon/Lion Rampant or Strange Aeons/Frostgrave models, just the current projects. These included:-

Age of Sigmar Crypt Court, Warpath Martians (Plague), Warpath Asterian, Battletech 2nd An Ting, Dropzone Commander Scourge and 2 Dreadball Teams.

As I've been consciously trying to reduce my gaming reserve, I have had a think on these projects, and am now wondering if concentrating on finishing one force off to 'full' level is a better option than building 2 smaller forces (this has already bleed through to some of my projects, as I've de-cluttered the second force if able). I do find that I tend to look at these forces (which are all complete enough to put on a table for me), and wonder if storage is a better option than removal (Dropzone is the big one here, really like the game, just never really play it - and with 2nd ed. due :?: ).

I suppose what I really need is another table sale (don't think Firestorm is due one till April/May), so that I can again try to move on the painted models I have, along with the other odds and ends. Don't really want to go to eBay with single models, and sometimes general painted models are less likely to sell over unpainted ones.

I've, also, just signed up for the latest 'Nickstarter', plastic and metal Lizard/Snakemen for Frostgrave:GA. First models I've brought this year.
Dragon Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Age of Sigmar // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Battletech (3039-3058) // Armoured Clash

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:03 pm

Well, work has had a great effect on my painting - only 4 figures so far this month finished, though I have built all my remaining Crypt Court Models, even the second Terrorgiest and a Crypt King to ride it (though he's not stuck onto the model yet).

As may have been noted, I continue to reduce the amount of gaming stuff I have laying around, being quite draconian in this at present. The Dropzone stuff has gone on evilBay, and I'm now looking at the Godslayer stuff. I continue to sell items on evilBay, though not for large amounts, but anything is an bonus in this regard.

For listing at present, I have Godslayer, Battletech Lances (the plastic models), various Babylon 5 Drazi warships, a possible Mars Attacks Giant Robot and a few Saucers, to name but a few. I do have to remember to save something for the table sale in May, for which I have a table booked already.

On the KS front, whilst humming and arring over Pacific Rim (who am I kidding, all-in all the way), I also have to contend with the upcoming Hellboy from Mantic. At least Godslayer is of no further interest, and I'm not sure when the Heavy Gear Peace River/NuCal one is due (not likely to go with that, never keen on those factions, but can combine postage with the Utopia KS I already backed, so I'll look - and probably swap out the Utopia upgrade rulebook for the Peace River/NuCal one). And must on forget 'Solomon Kane'.

Most of my reading recently had centered around finishing the 'Mortal Engines' series, which I did yesterday. Quite enjoyed them and now ready for the movie at the end of the year. Also has spent a lot of time (and most of my gaming expense for this month has been on) RPG reading, mainly bits of D&D, as I'm now playing this (never thought), but especially Runequest and Feng Shui. I had forgotten how much I liked the background of RQ, and the Madness of Feng Shui. Intending to pick up the latest edition of RQ whilst at UKGE this year, which whilst based on 2nd/3rd edition, is a new set of rules flavoured by the Pendragon ruleset. I've got the Quick Start set, so have some idea of the changes, and like what I see.
Also greatly expanded the sourcebooks for Feng Shui, now having all the faction background books, plus a few additional books.

So, I doubt much more will be done model wise this month - I want to go see Pacific Rim: Uprising during the next few days, then work till end of week, and might have a game of 15mm ECW (using Polmas rules from Baccus) on Saturday (had been invited to 'Longest Night', but that doesn't look likely).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:04 pm

Figures completely painted up to 25/3/2018 - 106 (4 this month)

John

Post by John » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:05 pm

Kevin wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:03 pm
Most of my reading recently had centered around finishing the 'Mortal Engines' series, which I did yesterday. Quite enjoyed them and now ready for the movie at the end of the year. ...
Have you read the first set of books which "Mortal Engines" is the victorian setting for - "Mortal Instruments"? by the same author.
....Feng Shui. I had forgotten how much I liked the background of RQ, and the Madness of Feng Shui. Intending to pick up the latest edition of RQ whilst at UKGE this year, which whilst based on 2nd/3rd edition, is a new set of rules flavoured by the Pendragon ruleset. I've got the Quick Start set, so have some idea of the changes, and like what I see.
Also greatly expanded the sourcebooks for Feng Shui, now having all the faction background books, plus a few additional books.
Feng Shui - Isn't this a japanese settings philosophy? So you have to set the right coloured figures in the right places! :lol:
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Your confusing setting between 'Engines' and 'Instruments'.

Instruments is an modern set Urban Fantasy, which I admit I haven't read, though and enjoying the 'Shadowhunter' series based on it (currently series 3 has just started on the net. It based around Daemon Hunters that use runes and tattoo's for their powers, and includes werewolves, Elves (Fay) and Vampires, plus 'other' things, though not always in ways you expect (most of this is based of the TV series, though there are 7 books in the written series at present). I don't talk about the movie.

Engines is a kind of post apocalyptic setting, where the cities of the time have been motorised and go around eating each other for spares and resources. The 'Mortal Engines' series has 4 books, and is due to appear in our cinema's at the end of the end, probably covering the first book (your man from Lord of the Rings is at it again, and the current trailer looks wonderful). There is a 3 book prequel series, which I also have and have read, which details the initial move from static to Traction cities. Enjoyed reading them (not new, the copies I have are 15th anniversary editions), but wouldn't shout and scream about them.

Feng Shui - your right, it's a technique involving Geomancy, though Chinese not Japanese. In regard to the RPG, it actually based on the varied and mixed staples of Hong Kong/Asia action cinema, with reference to films by Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Directors such as John Woo and Tauk (? spelling) Hark. Just my type of thing. So if you ever fancied playing Bruce Lee, John Maclaine, a disgruntled but honest cop or a gentle giant - it's the game for you.
Due to the systems involved, it happily would handle something like the 'Monkey' or more likely 'Water Margin' settings without issue.

And Runequest - do get me started please.
and enjoyed Pacific Rim: Uprising.

John

Post by John » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Infernal devices was the series I was thinking of! Set in London, England and the Highlight is where a Baddie called Benedict has caught the "Demon Pox"! and becomes a Demon Worm thing; And you thought Human Pox was bad, at least it can mostly be cured with Penecillin.
Once in awhile,
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Spent an annoying hour putting shield transfers on 10mm Greeks.
Finished the basing material on several other models bases, so just need to paint them now.

And I have a new project, though I'm not saying what it is - I can guarantee that no-one else has or is working on this, a very Kevin project.

John

Post by John » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Just ask Bill, I'm sure Kevin will have told him! :lol:
Once in awhile,
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:53 pm

Not yet.

But likely to this weekend. :?