2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Kevin

Re: 2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Post by Kevin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:08 pm

First models for new project now in the house. So time to now paint all before ordering more.
Dragon Rampant // Warpath // Age of Sigmar // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Battletech (3039-3058) // Armoured Clash

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:12 pm

Quick update - currently on night shifts, so time for hobby somewhat erratic.

Have fully finished 9 models/bases to date this month so far, and have around 2 dozen near finish. Am actually still enjoying painting, and have managed to finish off most of my TV watch requirements til next week, but working over weekend, so will probably not get to the painting table again til Tuesday.

And I've decided to focus mainly on the stuff on the paint table, most of which are background projects. These lurk on the table, so would be nice to finally finish. And most of my current armies are painted to a usable level, I can concentrate on finishing them as the background projects (bit on the special project).

Emptied my storage drawers in game room, which proved that my spare stock is shrinking, as it now all fits on the tables. Not sell much, but at least it's going slowly. Hopefully, the Table Sale on May 12 at Firestorm will get rid of more stuff.

And Hellboy is due end of Month - so glad I dropped Pacific Rim, as with that and the new Hex Media movie KS, it would have been rather expensive.

The other main issue I have at present is a lack of drive to actually game - well, to go out of my way to attend group, whist still painting stuff at home, and playing games with friends at their homes. Maybe it's down to the reintroduction of s regular, set work pattern, as the job comes first.
I don't feel the need to stop gaming, so it might just be a dry spot.
Time to wait and see what the future brings.
Dragon Rampant // Warpath // Age of Sigmar // Strange Aeons // Wolsung // Battletech (3039-3058) // Armoured Clash

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:45 am

So, end of month review.

Not a bad month, considering I've been on night shifts and that's thrown my sleep pattern to pot. It has meant I have not got to group this month, though as mentioned previously, this is not totally down to my work pattern.

Painting continues, with me finishing some of the actual cultist models I allocated for this month. Much of the later part of the month has been me sorting stuff for the table sale on the 12/05, and yes, I've started packing stuff up for this. Shouldn't have too much stuff, enough but not masses, though I doubt much will be of interest (aiming to 'go low, sell more' in regard pricing for most stuff). Must say I'm quite looking forward to it.

The yearly project continues apace. I've spent around £45 in total on it so far, and am still some way from being able to actually get it to the table (that's all in, Rules, Models, Terrain, etc.). Enjoying painting the models, and have almost completed one Regiment for one of the forces. Even started on the footsloggers and supply elements. Have decided that I won't paint the second and third forces until I have brought all the models required for a Battalion, so accounts for the progress with one force.

Likely that my time for hobby might be cut down as the TV series have returned with a vengeance. The Expanse (S3) and Into the Badlands (S3) have just started, as has The 100 (S5). Along with Lucifer (S3 - which has almost finished) and Shadowhunters (S3 - which as about a third of the way through) that's around 5 hours of TV series a week. Add to that Critical Role, to which I am now kind of hooked, though I refused to go back and watch the first campaign, which generally runs for around 4-5 hours, and that's the equivalent of a day gone.

Have continued to pop over to my mates to sort through his rework of the Polmos ECW rules. Last game worked a hell of a lot better than the first few, though we're still playing with small (very small) forces - he's providing both. Enjoying this, ECW was the first Historical Gaming Period I got into all those years ago (30+), so it's nice to go back.

Kickstarter appear to like April, as I currently have 4 running, though only 3 are gaming related, and one of them is a continuation of a previous one (Heavy Gear), which I'm kind of in just for the updated rule book. Both of the others are board games - Hellboy (surprise) and 'Eye for an Eye: Arena' from Darwin Games (more Occulite goodness). Both aren't that expensive (under £100 including P&P), so........

And speaking of Board Games - Big Trouble in Little China has arrived in the House. And it will get played. Just remember - it's all in the reflexes.

Painted models completed so far this year = 138 (32 in April)

Richard

Post by Richard » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Back when God was a boy and I started gaming, ECW and Ancients were the games I first played as well. To be honest I only remember those two periods and Napoleonics as options. Just shows these modern day whippersnappers are just spoiled for choice! :lol: I think it is still my favourite period to paint incorporating a good balance of colour variation and armour so I’d be interested to hear how your ECW trials go as I’ve not really found rules for the period that I’m happy with. The (dare I say) more historically accurate sets (eg ) are just so sssslllloooowwww that you need hours and hours to fight any larger scale battle, which is a little ironic as they were designed for big games! There are some ‘fun’ games out there but they can lose their appeal quite quickly when games bare little resemblance to actual battles as independent infantry units go roaming around the battlefield with little thought to their order of battle. Anyway be interesting to see how you get on.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:18 am

Polmos are Baccus Games general ruleset system, and as Baccus is a 6mm manufacturer (though we're playing in 15mm with 100mm frontage regimental bases), the system works for big games. No points system, and a command and control system that stops you doing everything, it fits nicely - especially after we had a play with some of the rules.

Infantry are kind of a speed bump, as firepower is not a game winner, though getting too close can be a bad thing - all the games we've played, around 6 at present, only 2 have had infantry casualties (lost bases) during the game, though the shock and fatigue on the bases have made them somewhat worthless. Cavalry are the deciding element (historically accurate as we're currently sticking to 1642-43, very early war - the rules provide 'lists' for armies by year, with random tables for quality and strength, though we (well, my mate) started looking at the Forlorn Hope force generator as it's one of the best out there, even if it fits with your 'Sloow' rules issue), though we've had to modify the Swedish Tactical style Horse quite heavily as it kind of failed to do much in game.

Cavalry come in 2 flavours, Swedish - shock cavalry charging to contact, and Dutch - basically trotters (pistols are factored as part of CC, though Swedish Cavalry charges are counted as Ranged Combat - sounds odd but fits). Infantry in 5 flavours, Shot, Shot Heavy, Mixed, Pike Heavy and Pike (quite self explanatory). We intend to add artillery to the mix soon, but have already started discussing changes to the rules in regard them (the rules REALLY don't value ranged weapons).

I might even get round to building my own force in the next year or so, as the peter pig models are easy to paint and not overly expensive (currently and Cavalry Troop is 7/8 figures, so 2 packs at around £3:50 each, and Infantry we use 12 pike (inc. Command) and sleeves of around 8 musket, all on a single base - all bases are 100mm frontage -, so around 4 £3.50 packs with spares for infantry). Just Cavalry Regiments can be around 5-6 bases, Infantry around 3-4, so it's not too cheap, but not bank breaking.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat May 12, 2018 7:06 am

And off to Firestorm for the table sale we go.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat May 12, 2018 6:16 pm

And I return, richer in funds, lesser in items (and I didn't buy much either - just paint, WD and Gang War 3).

So made around £110 (after expenses - though nowhere near as much as that money making machine Kris), so generally a good day was had. I had a float of £50, and I only spent around £26, so I'm actually finically ahead on this one. And I did a Charity drop off on the way home, so all the DVD and magazines I took with me have gone to a good home.

David warned me about the Van Saar models (which I haven't brought), but a quick skim of GW 3 doesn't fire me up for them, to be honest. I do like the expanded equipment listings by House (so Escher, Goliath and Orlock), along with the expanded Trading Post lists. Not to sure about the other bits (AmBot/Orgyn). WD gives a 'pick it yourself' super-group option for Ventor Hunter packs (not Spryers, but basically a give it what you want gang of freebooters, sell-swords and mercenaries. Might be over-powered, though as they have the same build structure as all the other gangs (that makes 7 at present), maybe not.

And Kickstarter - oh Kickstarter, how I wonder about thee.
I have dropped 2 of the KS I was in, but have decided that I'm going into the Godslayer one anyway (the core 2 player set (Beastmen and Greeks) with all the rules/background books is £114 - which considering the price of the *** models usually is quite cheap). It comes in a nice box that will double as storage (though I will probably what to get rid of the Halodyne/Greek models). And they have some rather nice Wave 1 starter forces for £66.
I always liked Godslayer - and hopefully this will fire up my drive to do something with it. Not due to finish for around a month, and planned to deliver in September (before Adeptus Titanicus - master box all the way).

So I can now go back to somewhat normal service with my painting, and again start to look toward the bay of E o relieve me of even more models.

(and I haven't forgotten I have those Wolsung bits for you still John - if I ever get to group.

Kris

Post by Kris » Sun May 13, 2018 8:05 am

Rumour is Titanicus is out in August Kevin.