2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Post by Kevin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:37 pm

So, 2018 arrives and it's time to start a new 'Blog' - not sure I should call it that, but it serves the purpose.

2017 - I'm not going to review last year, though I'm actually quite pleased with it, even if it wasn't always perfect (what is). I got stuff painted, played games, had a increase in my social gaming circle and generally was able to reduce the 'ohh, shiny' syndrome as the year progressed. Expenses ended up at around £110 a month through the year when totalled (which included Kickstarter), so not 'too' bad.

So, 2018 - what do I see in store :?: .

Firstly, I started to reduce the various lead and plastic mountains I have built, and intend to continue doing so where able. The same will be true of some of the Board Games (though not likely to be many - Heroes of Normandie is at present it, as I have 'Shadows over Normandie' which is the same thing with added Cthuhlu) that I currently have. Hopefully this will result in a fund pool in PayPal that came cover my needs for modelling supplies and other items.

As far as games go, I only really have 3 to the fore at present - Shadows of Brimstone, Necromunda and Dragon(Lion) Rampant. That last one is a built of a cheat though, as it covers multiple game systems as any and all models can be focused toward it.

I intend to work mostly on Dragon Rampant during the first quarter of 2018, as I am rebuilding the Abyssal force, and adding to the Neum force for use in Crusade. I am also working on an 'Age of Sigmar' force (for which I have brought more models than I need already), so that will also be re-purposed. Finally, the 'Twilight' (not sparkly vampires) models will hopefully get some love this year.

As far as Necromunda goes, I want to get a Goliath Gang painted, though I'm in no rush as the lack of gangs/forces at present doesn't appeal. Still, something to work on.

And 'Shadows' ..... oh, Shadows :? . I want to finish off the stuff I have half painted BEFORE a dirty great 19KG package of weird west goodness arrives on my doorstep. That's currently 4 character and 3 enemy models (with another 6 enemy models in a box waiting without paint currently).

And as I enjoyed trying to keep a track of what I painted last year (mainly for the morale boost), I'm going to do so again this year, though with a slight difference. Instead of saying 'paint XX models each month', I'm just going to note, in this thread, when I finish a model/models as a running count. The main thing this will help with is I tend to get sidetracked when painting, so finish models I don't need or had not intended to paint. It will also account for the 'many' models I have that have been started (undercoated/base coated and then a few details) but have fallen by the way side. Hopefully, this will mean that they get finished.

So that's my 'into the new year' thoughts. Onward and upward all......... :?
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Kevin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Post by Kevin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:09 pm

Managed to get the first Hobby of the year in today - nothing amazing but a start. As I have not been feeling 'right' this is a positive.

So, bases and dry brush on Nuem, based on Abyssal's, and then some dry brush on the Age of Sigmar line troops - which had a knock-on effect.

Turns out the dry brush colour on the AoS models is ideal of the Martian Bug Handlers/Science Division models details work. Result - now have all the models for Bug Handlers (9, with 3 extra) undercoated.

Also, decided to build some models - some needed, some not - mainly to get rid of the sprue parts laying around. As such, 10 Asterian and 5 Abyssal models built. I only need 1 Asterian (to be built as a Black Talon to finish that base), so the other 9 go towards a sell-on force I have started. The Abyssal's are to be split between my Dragon Rampant force (2) and a sell-on Kings of War force.

No new models finished, but progress anyway.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:55 pm

So, the construction of models continues, probably more than I should. One thing I did find is even though the GW kits are lovely, they are a pain in the :censored: to put together (could be my glue, but it's the first time I've used more superglue than plastic putting a plastic model together). Had to completely rebuild the mounting for the big beastie, though it does look good.

Painting actually continues a pace, and a wide and varied selection of stuff is being done. I've also spent a fair amount of time doing bases (plastic wood), so that I can move on to the texturing phase - which leads to a break in service as I've run out of wash for the bases. Just means I'll have to paint models until more can be acquired (probably next week). So not a bad thing.

And the Post Office tried to deliver a 'Big Box' of weird west goodness today - out at doctors, so rescheduled for Saturday - it seems wave 2 of 'Shadows of Brimstone' is in Bridgend. After received and I've had a chance to sort through, I will probably file away most of the stuff other than the following;-

Alternate Characters, Frontier Town Supplement, Monsters for Swamps of Jango, Monsters for Targa.

After that I will probably work on one 'otherworld' at a time - possibly Cynder next.

And eBay is being ok to me, so I'm moving stuff on. I'm only playing to put one or two items on the B&B at Crusade, but they are high cost ones - my collection of Godslayer Reaver's, and the (large amount of) 'Heroes of Normandie' stuff.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:24 pm

So, whilst I'm still painting stuff for Crusade (only a week to go), and it's possible that my painting time might be reduced as I'm currently looking at changing Jobs (so more time in work), things are going well. So far this month I've finished around 20 odd models and have more to go. I'll list these at the end of the month (and end of each month), and have set aside a shelf on which to place painted/finished models through the month - and it looks good.

I've also started to work on terrain elements, as I need more of these so I can play more games at home. First off are 3 areas of 'rough terrain', which I started today.

And the base details on the Age of Sigmar smaller models in the force are now done (Leader not built yet, goes on monster). More basic models than I need for the starter, but have all the models (including the Monster, though only undercoated). All there bases are also complete, though no extra's added yet. Doubt that they will be finished before the first game, and not sure the Monster will be past it's undercoat (and have an invisible rider).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:03 pm

So, Crusade over for another year - good time had, though I had a little issue with B&B, as someone walked off without paying for a rather expensive item. Ended without issue, but still out of pocket (with money from B&B factored in, spent £1:40 - should have been a profit of around £50, but...).

Whilst we had alot of interest, really difficult to get people involved/playing, so after chat with Bill, likely to now do 'Display' style games in future.

Swapped the stuff I planned too with Marc and David, with David being extremely generous. Included 'Mars Attacks' board game plus bits, and while initial response was to move on, I'm now thinking of expanding the infantry section of the Warpath force (increasing infantry to 3 stands each). Oh, and now have 4 saucers/flyers.

My purchases were all about 'Sword and Spear'. Picked up the Fantasy rules set (rather like the similarity between Lion and Dragon Rampant, same core with add-on rules), and 3 packs of 10mm models to start on 'S&S' armies. I'm intend to finish painting these before getting more, so that's 12 Feudal Medieval Knights, and 60 Hoplite models. And the raffle, eventually, turned up 3 books (mainly World War I, and General History of Britain), and a T-70 X-wing model for X-Wing (which I'm happy to move on, don't play the game).

So, lastly, figures painted to completion this month (so far, though I doubt more will be completed before Wednesday, though... ) clocks in at 47 (Edit - 31/01/2018. Painted 2 more, so 49), so not a bad month.
Last edited by Kevin on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:41 pm

Sorry to hear that Kevin. I had two things go ‘missing’ from the B&B over consecutive years so I stopped using it as it just wasn’t worth the worry and eBay was a lot safer. I think that once a B&B gets to a certain size then it simply becomes very difficult to monitor. I really liked the system they had at a show in Somerset many moons ago where individual club members were responsible for a section of the stall and nobody else removed items from their section. That way they knew exactly what was there and what had been sold. Unfortunately it’s probably not practical for a show like Crusade with a big B&B. Still, sorry to hear you’re out of pocket.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:23 am

Thin I generally feel the same way about B&B's now, especially with things like Table Sales as a replacement option (will generally get a similar pass through/foot fall). EBay does give a wider customer spread, and costs are somewhat comparable I suppose, generally just the hassle of 'Large/Heavy' items and postage.

Still think Crusade is a good show, and to be fair I would expect some 'loss' from any reasonably sized B&B (no-one is perfect, and their are, unfortunately, some very untrustworthy members of our community - like all communities). I only even use B&B when running something, just don't think I will do so now. (I did get the feeling that they were as gutted as I (well, most of them, there's always the 'hard luck' types), and they went out of their way to make sure I was not completely at a loss. That was probably down to the fact that we are a know entity, having been there 20 of the 23 years the show has been running in some form or another (which we were joking about earlier).

The other thing that I noted was the change in show 'style', appearing to have less 'Participation' type games each year - I doubt there were more than 4-5, including us, a board game room and a RPG table. I feel that this might just reflect the local 'meta', as whilst people were willing to talk about the games, little interest in actually playing was shown. Not sure if this is a general trend in the current Hobby, or a local one, but it does seem common. Also, you do still get the 'oh, it's fantasy' response (though not as badly as in the past - one year me were playing a 10mm style game, and spent around 10 minutes talking to a person about the figures and terrain, though when we mentioned we had converted to a fantasy setting, we got an 'Oh, and he walked off'). Still, you still get the 'it's not Warhammer response quite regularly.

Due to this, I think that Bill and I will probably focus more on the 'Demonstration/Display' style games in future, though will probably try to structure them that people can join in if they wish. Or plan in advance to advertise that we will be running a 'game' - through website or social media, and try to fill seats before hand (say, if planning on a Shadows of Brimstone game).

John

Post by John » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 am

I'm also sorry to hear this Kevin. The only time I have seen a B&B which seemed to be designed to combat "Walkaways" was where anything over £10 (Shows how long ago this was) was placed behind the stalls along the walls and you had to ask to see it, although books etc. were placed on the tables as normal. Also there were more people behind selling the items, although still trying to get someone's attention to look at some of the items behind was difficult at times. It also stopped the "shopping with your hands" which always seems to go on. Another option I suppose you could add to this method would be to have some people only serve as sales peeps and some as display peeps, changing as needed and ensuring replacement with someone else. One of the biggest problems I see at B&Bs, which you don't get at table sales, is the person turning away to get change thus not watching the table.
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Not having to work, whilst having it's own issues, does appear to have a positive effect in regard to my general gaming, and in particular painting, effects.

I continue to finish (not necessarily start, I have a habit of starting models which then fall by the wayside) large quantities of models - around 56 to date for February, that's over 100 models so far this year. This is likely to continue, possibly not to the half century mark, as I'm enjoying painting at present. And most of the models painted have a use to me, being either Dragon Rampant, Age of Sigmar or Warpath models. I've still managed to finish off a few 'excess' models, including a few Dreadball teams and odd models from the Relics range.

As far as the clear out continues, whilst I'm not selling much, or at high prices, things are going (and I won't be using B&B's in future). I'm building up painted stock for the next Firestorm Table Sale - whenever that is (and if I can attend), so even the extra's have a use.
Main sellers for me at present are Battlemechs (plastic models painted as Sword of Light Regiment) and Babylon 5 ship's (I've kept the Crusade Era EA fleet, at 5pt raid level, but am moving on the Drazi and then possibly the Centuri ships I have - though I keep looking at the Drakh again).

So, all is currently going well and good at Casa Del Kbog.

and I've adapted my signature to only cover games I can put on the table painted - not including board games - so it's now a lot shorter than it was

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:34 pm

Not really much progress on the painting front over the last 2 weeks, though I've not stopped painting. Have decided to reorganize the models for the Flesh Eater Court Ghoul units, and have re-based some of the models so I can sell them on when I have painted replacement figures completed (still using these- worked out a 1000pt force, and have the models for this, most of which are already painted - just need to finish the bl#@+y monster and his rider, well build the rider first).

I've, again, had a look at the Martian force for Warpath, and have now finalized the unit structure - all have a 1 Command character in them. Will also be using a 'Command' base, using the stats for a single Terraton, as Army Supreme Commander. Again, 1000pt force worked out, just need to paint a few more bugs. And doing a 2000pt force will not be an issue.

Finally, I've decided that the rest of this month and March will be the 'Month of the Cultist'. I have dug out all the Reaper Bones, Strange Aeons and 'Mythos' cultist models I have, based and textured them, and then add the Frostgrave cult henchmen I already had built, for painting. I did intend to include the Shadows 'Crimson Hand' models, and use their colour scheme, but it's actually quite dull.

And eBay continues to treat me reasonably well, stuff continues to sell, if not for mega bucks, so my collection of unwanted models/items continues to shrink. And I'm not appearing to buy many figures to replace these - books, paints and so on, yes, but not figures.