2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Kevin

Re: 2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Post by Kevin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:29 pm

Well, surprise surprise, the Godslayer KS failed, not even reaching half it's funding total. They have decided to let it run down, but have issued a link to their store and offer discount codes on top of the KS reductions (which are open to anyone that wants to use them - and additional 5% off KS prices and 15% off store items. If you want the codes, PM me). Whilst I backed it, now that its not a 'you pledged' sale, I'm finding it quite difficult to actually raise any interest in buying anything through the shop offers (the cheapest 2 player set is still £100 odd, and includes a large amount of models I don't have need of - and buying individual 'reduce cost' models doesn't drive me either). And a lot of the re-sculpts aren't on the shop (though were listed as available on the KS), which we mainly the models I as interested in.

So it looks likely that they will get no funds from me :cry_blow: for now.

They are planning on another KS in November, which should introduce an additional faction (whether it's the '300' Persians I'm not sure). And I do like the game, just not enough to throw around £200 at it a present, especially when I still have models built to paint, and unbuilt in boxes too.
I will keep what I have, and expand it slowly, as it is the only skirmish fantasy game I actually have time for (Frostgrave:GA might be a second)

Whilst at UKGE, got to play a few rounds of 'Solomon Kane' - interesting, but not sure it's for me (I'm getting a lot more choosey over my gaming at present). Will still give it another try on the 17th at group, but wasn't grabbed by what I experienced - unlike 'Big Trouble in Little China', even though we played a pre-set 'showdown', it rocks.
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 pm

So, having mentioned that I'm getting more choosey/less involved in my gaming in an earlier post, I thought I'd review my current feelings in regard to my hobby in general, and want I 'think' I want from it.

First thing, I don't feel I want too 'jack it in', though …… I do seem to have less interest in the actual gaming side of things at present, especially the mainstream options out there (as you will all know, I've never really been into the 'mainstream' games, tending to go for the more 'left field' or 'off center' gaming systems). I do still paint, though not as often as I'd like or want, and I do still deal with the 'meta' of my gaming, working on what is needed to build forces and organising things accordingly. I just don't seem to actually get beyond that at present, and am not really overly missing it.

I have recently had 2 main changes in my lifestyle - I got back into full time employment, and I started Role Playing again.
The full time employment issue is a double edged sword, as whilst it reduced my time/availability, it does provide a regular income (and not one that has no spare funds at the end of the month), so I have money for my hobby (I went to UKGE, that was £300 just for accommodation, which would not have been an option around 8 months ago).
The second thing, RPG, has had a major effect on my gaming and social life. I had forgotten how enjoyable sitting around a table with a bunch of like-minded people and playing a role can be. I have always kept a resource of RPG systems, usually to us as background of Table Top settings (all my WWWII RPG material was acquired for this, and I have LOTS), along with backgrounds I have interested in (Harry Dresden) or games I never wanted to get rid of (Torg, Feng Shui and Runequest - though these have come and gone as the mood went). So, restarting this thread of my past has fired up my imagination, and pushed the table top side of things someway to the back of my hobby at present (and the GM got me watching Critical Role on YouTube/Geek and Sundry, which I now enjoy immensely each week (though I'm not going back to watch the first campaign), as I was luck enough to start doing so when a new campaign started).
Oh, and it's D&D 5th, I NEVER thought I'd play D&D again after dropping it for more suitable systems (o me) around 20 years ago.

There are games/setting/periods I like, and as such will keep models for them, even if they are not 'battle ready'. These include:-
Strange Aeons/Mythos
Warpath
Godslayer
Armoured Clash
Frostgrave/Frostgrave:GA
Dragon/Lion Rampant (catch all for Fantasy models)
Battletech
Wolsung (though I'm having trouble painting/building these - can't decide on whether to dump the clear bases)
Wild West Exodus
Weird War II (various scales, Infantry heavy 28-32, walker heavy 15-18)
World of Twilight: Anayaral (not sparkly vampires)
Varrious Board Games - BTiLT, 7sins, SoN, CW, SoB/SoB:FF, Firefly:B&B to name but a few.

So how does this all effect my Hobby in general. Well, it has had the effect to make me look closely at what I am doing with my 'finite' time resources. You might think the RPG character development doesn't take up much time, but it falls into the 'meta' of mental planning just like army building. So that has pushed out some of my other plans. Looking at the figure resources I have on hand, I find that again I have several projects that I started in good faith that are never likely to get finished (through lack of interest, fall by wayside or a redirection in the planning). This usually means the 'clear out' phase kicks in (hello 'getting rid of stuff' thread and Evilbay), and to be fair, these (well, Evilbay) have been slowly aiding in this.
Unfortunately, this currently seems to be happening every 2 weeks or so at present, so no actual defined progress is being made goals switch and plans change. The one thing that is constant is that I seem unwilling to start in on new projects (the only new project I have started this year, which I must admit is doing well, if currently on a slow down until I get everything painted before ordering the next wave, is my 'special project' - and that's not getting declared to the general public until ready), hence the reason the Necromunda models haven't even come out of their boxes, let alone get built - though I have brought all the Gang wars and WD with gang lists in them. Also, I've already put £175 to one side of Adeptus Titanicus hen it releases in August (Grandmaster Box for sure, if I have the funds I might buy 2).

As such, gaming is not a drive at present, though it has not fallen off the radar completely. I want to push myself back into it, though have currently not found the 'correct' trigger for this (AT might do it, but not sure - I do think I'll have AT models painted before Necromunda ones).

So we will have to wait a see how things go.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Little bit of painting done, though only on the 'special project'. I do continue, but have sorted the paint table again as I'm working on culling the model count for unwanted figures again.

Have emptied out the figure boxes, so whilst the table got cleared for a game with Bill, it's now snowed under with models in various stages of completion - actually quite a helpful thing.

I decided that Solomon Kane was not for me, but even though the Godslayer KS failed, I ended up going with the pre-order they set up (which will give me 3 300 point forces it I ever get them painted). Also went with the Nickstarter for the new Dracula's America - both books and 'Cult of Dagon' (surprise).

So the next outlay should be for AT in August. I had put around £160 to one side (in PayPal), but that went to GodslayerStrange pre-order (which I'll get back if not enough if made on the pre-order). So, eBay having been good to me, I'm nearly back up to that level, so will definitely be looking at getting the Grand Master set (and if money comes back from Godslayer, might even get 2).

And got in another game of Warpath, the Martian's working well, but has made me look (again) at force composition, and what I need to paint for the next wave. And still not sure about what to do with the 'gaint robot' model - seems too big to be a strider, but probably a best fit,. And the 'Saucers' are tanks (he he he).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:25 pm

So not much done in June, though I finished another 12 models. And as I'm working most of this week, July will be a slow start.

Did receive a package this week, and now have a collection of various flying birds and lizards (in 10mm) for 'Spitfyre'. Doubt much will be done with it straight away, but it's only around 10 models to paint (hopefully before the Gnome and Trog stuff turns up later in the year).

Dropped out of Solomon Kane, so that's around £100 saved (well, not spent). And my eBay is nearly back up to around the level I will need to buy AT Grand Master set when out in August. So things going well with that. Would like to sell more stuff though.

Models painted to completion this month = 12 (yearly total - 172).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Well, again almost another month pasted with almost no direct gaming done, though I have got to 2 RPG sessions this month.

Most of my hobby has been based around reorganising my excess stocks and unwanted models, reading the interweb on various gaming related issues (though mainly AT, Fireteam has caught my attention) and revamping some of my current painting projects.

As anyone who's been following the 'Getting Rid of' thread on this site will know, I'm attempting to move on quite a bit of stuff at present. This, to be fair, has been quite successful at present, leading to me having the funds reserved to get my AT Grandmaster box without actually having to touch any funds outside PayPal (even possibly 2), so Firestorm are going to be getting a large amount of that (unless the GW pre-order offer is spectacular). And if I do buy 2, that will mean spare rules and card if someone was interested (4 Warlord, 12 Knights and 2 sets of building Sprues should keep me going for a while).

I'm still sorting though stuff to get rid of, but have reinstituted the 'cupboard of shame', where i can sortt stuff that i want to keep butt don't think I'll doanything with for a reasonable amout of time. The first new entry to this (currently contains Rivet wars, Rise of the Occulites, Shadows of Normandie and the add-on's for The Others - all board games) is 'Shadows of Brimstone'. I've kept a few models out to work on painting (the ones i thing can tranfer over to 'Forbidden Fortress', a set of 'Core' characters and a few monsters, along with there varient/alternate gender options), but the game itself is now in storage.

I do seem to be favouring two types of gaming at present (not counting RPG), which are either 'epic' scale or small 'gang' type games. Dracula's America is a fun read, and i now have all the supplements for that, along with Frostgrave/Frostgrave:GA, Necromunda and Strange Aeons (all small gang with development), then the 'Osprey' rulesets - generally small figure count but little development and Wolsung. I've also been rereading the Wargods of Aegyptus rules, along with Godslayer and Epic Armageddon (though that's mostly been the Titan's).

Did I mention I have been doing a lot of reading on Titan's :oops:

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Gaming wise, July was a crappy month - absolutely nothing to show for it.

Didn't even get more than an hour or two sat painting.

Only good thing is stuff is still moving (slowly) on Evilbay, so PayPal looks healthy - until AT arrives end of month.

Total figures finished this month = 0
(Total for year =172).

Richard

Post by Richard » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:41 am

I remember having some great games of Wargods of Aegyptus at Richard’s shop when he ran the campaign. Big problem was the amount of proxying you needed to do due to lack of so many actual models but the games were most enjoyable. The order chits made it tactically challenging and interesting. Definitely one of the best larger scale fantasy battle games out there with a good fluff to carry things along.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:44 am

Black Pyramid Games do a pre-order system for Wargods, which isn't badly priced and import wouldn't kill you.

I'm kind of looking at a slow build for this, as Evilbay is not your friend on this range.

Again, agree with you over the rules, and the campaign system was a major selling point for me, as I like that type of thing - also allows for a wide collection of models if you're using the random 'Children of the Gods' system.

Have got about 5 models of various types as currently don't want to shell out on this, but keeping an eye out.

And the Campaign system allows for uneven games, as forces will develop differently depending on success/failure in previous games, again something I like.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:51 pm

So, August off to a good start.

Got some painting time in already, nothing finished, but several models well on the way ( might need to borrow a Purple off Bill/friend, as I need it for a cloak, and don't want to buy a new paint just for 1figure).
So, more Martian's, Abyssal's and random miniatures with paint on.

Also got a game in, with Bill, of 'Dracula's America', though just played it with 'Cowboys'. Nice simple system, which works surprising well as western gunfight game, and will lend itself to campaign play easily (the campaign system from later supplements is 'capped', so has a finite span - which I like. And with all supplements, there are around 11 factions, and a starting gang is 6 models max).
Think this might replace 'Wild West Exodus' as my 'weird/fantastic' western game.

John

Post by John » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:30 pm

Like Richard, enjoyed playing Wargods of Aegyptus, although I never bought a force for the original game! Was 'Proxying' to try out the different Warbands to see which I Preferred, although I did buy a Spartan warband for Wargods of Olympus when that came out, which never got used. Would probably be interested if WoA ever got started again.
Got a Pot of Purple if you want to borrow it Kevin.
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)