2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Kevin

Re: 2018 - New Year, New Ramblings

Post by Kevin » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Actually manage to deal with the purple, though only from a distance, by using a lighter one (which I did have) and 'loads' of purple wash.

Not a total fit, but close enough.
Dragon/Lion Rampant // Warpath // Godslayer // Wolsung .

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:38 pm

So, the time has come and I've spent £175 on a GW product (well, actually around £230 as I picked up all the Cawdor stuff for Necromunda at the same time).

Whilst I'm really looking forward to this, I do get the feeling that it's mostly going to sit in the retail box for a long period, as I 'try' to sort out and finish current projects. I'm going to build a Warlord, and intend to try to magnetise the weapon mounts (funnily, the current build option seems to be the 'Nemesis' Class Warlord (2 Volcano Cannon/2 apocalypse Launchers - a Titan Killer variant), which the Legio I'm intending to model had for around 7-8% of their God Engines, so all's good there.

I suppose the next big question will be the costs for the Reaver and Warhound Models, though as the fluff for my Legion has very few Reaver's, I have time to save for the next wave.

I have dropped out of one KS - a range of miniatures for Gloranthan (Runequest) RPG games -, but unfortunately have probably found another, for a game I always really liked, produced by TSR in the late 80's, called 'Dragon Dice'. Knew it had been picked up, by as I can find no supply source in UK, I had kind of given up on it (Bill got me a starter set as a Crimbo pressie a few years back of EvilBay, which I still have, in it shrink wrap. The KS is for the final role out of 4th edition (and as I hadn't played since 1st Ed, the rules changes I don't notice), and the basic pledge for a 2 player set is around $35 + P&P. The premise of the game is that you play an army, with units composed of Die of varying sized, representing different types and levels of troops. When take an action with the army (maneuver, in combat) the die are rolled and the results on the faces show how many successes you have, along with special effects/abilities and spell cast points. As you can build your force with die tailored to your style (though it's a blind buy game), you can choose troops that are better at missile, melee or magic, as you want. Currently there are around 8 different factions/races, with the KS being to reprint on of the OOP one. I must say that whilst I haven't backed yet, I'm very likely to do so as the game is tactical, and above all requires very little preparation (no painting or modeling, it's kind of a board game with die as units). And it doesn't deliver till next year (and I loved my Lava Elves - Fire and Death following Elves who used Rapier and Pistol in combat - Hum, wonder if I can find suitable models to use for Dragon Rampant).

I'm still getting painting time, watching TV series and catching up with BoW and Critical Role, along with a rather interesting series from White Wolf on the background of 'Vampire 5th edition' - basically a primer for the current 'world of darkness' setting from the vampires view.

John

Post by John » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:27 pm

I also have several die for Dragon Dice, mostly from the original 4, except I also have some Amazons, Firewalkers, Feral and Undead. I will possibly only pledge as a Supporter to gain access to the Kicker boxes to increase the size of my forces.
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Nice to here John. Had loads of die, but sold them over 25 years ago.

The new rules, both starter and full, are available to download on the KS site, and though 96 sides of paper, it's all the rules in one place.
And the old die are fully usable, as I believe they still use the TSR moulds, so just the rules have been updated.

Got to watch a play through of an AT game on YouTube, and liked what I saw, so am happier about this now (did kind of have an issue with some of the Knight rules/abilities (2" melee range, auto targeting location of choice), but Warlord's are damned hard to kill. Also the book keeping aspect 'won't' weigh the game down ( and the Warlord is the same sign as the old 'Imperitor/Emperor' Class model - it's a big boy.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Popped into Firestorm after work Tuesday night, as I now work in Cardiff, it's quite convenient, to collect the Necromunda Cawdor I had ordered.

They had a built Warlord Titan, and a set of the sprues for one on display - very nice, and quite chunky. Did have a rule book, but avoided looking at it, as I will probably collect my copy Sunday (as working), and am off Monday so will have plenty of time to read it then.
I checked the sprue in regard to magnet points, and have since placed an order for 50 5mmx1mm magnets, which should keep me going for a while.
And I think that the Dreamforge Leviathan, which I have an unbuilt 'Mortis' class in 15mm ( the one with the skull face), and several optional weapons, might match up quite well with the Warlord (or Reaver if a bit small against a Warlord).

Bumped into David whilst there, who has also brought into AT, though not from Firestorm. So I
know one person who will have targets for me.

Haven't got much painting done, and as I now look like it will either be work or a weekend of RPG over the coming Bank Holiday (next weekend), doubt I'll do much.

I did back the Dragon Dice KS in the end, around 2 hours before it finished, currently having allocated around £65 to it (and it's not due till next year - though I'm happy with that). So I finally opened the old starter (and immediately threw away everything but the die, as the new rules supercede those in the box. Happily, there seems to be around 40-50% of the die from the Lava Elf faction, my main choice of the core races (I just like the style, and it's the only time I've gone of Elves in s fantasy game (usually can't stand the pointy eared *"#**-"), so that's a good start.

And just incase people missed my post, Firestorm's next Table Sale/Bring and Buy is 20th October (table booked already - got the first one, though I'll probably end up near the back as usual). So time to start building stock.

John

Post by John » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:30 am

Will have a look at the Die I have and separate out the Lave elves for you Kevin as I went for the Dwarfs and Undead mainly. Also have Fire walkers (Which I mentioned before, who make good allies for the Lava Elves) so will separate them as well.
Once in awhile,
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:56 am

Yes, I have dwarves in the bags from the box, so a swap is on.

Don't no if you went with the KS, I did, but they unlocked the Feral set at the end - so 2 reprints from this KS. Backed quite lightly (for me), as planning to pick up the mouse mat play mat for the lava elf forces (either Fire or Death), along with a few extra Kicker above the starter set.

John

Post by John » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:32 pm

I forgot to actually make a final pledge so not in, will now have to search for British supplier.
Once in awhile,
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Even though I've spent a fair amount of time on the web watching TV series (Killjoys and Wynonna Earp), Films (Upgrade - nice movie, really interesting ending) and Beast of War Weekender, along with a search review of eBay for items of interest, I've actually done better today at the paint table (breaks between previously noted activities). Have half finished 3 figure, finished (bar basing) 3 more, started a paint scheme on a CAV mech, built and based another model, and done some work on the 10mm Feudal Knights.

So, productive day all told.

RPG on Friday turned into trying out 'Gloomhaven' a campaign style (though can be played as a one-off, which we did to learn the basics) dungeon crawler, for 1-4 players against a game A.I..
Some interesting ideas, and very resource focused in the way characters perform actions, but over all I kind of liked it (Shadows is always going to be my go-to for this type of game, but it's different, and I would say more challenging than that, but without the variety).

Picking up 'AT' tomorrow, as in work so basically there ( with a 90 minute lunch, and being around 10 minutes away, makes sense). I have my magnets already, so am basically ready to get started on the build.
Only one thing worrying me, no collection confirmation from them, as in item ready to collect. Not overly concerned, but not like them to do this (and I know they had product in, mentioned on some of the AT sites they initially still had stock of GM boxes - gone now, and most of the other items some around 3 in stock, and e day reorder window).

Working most of next week, the off to a friend's for a weekend of RPG, adult refreshments and silly movies. Also other gaming I'm sure. So doubt much more may get done this month, and Monday is for house work and reading AT books.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:51 pm

Got some painting done eventually through month, no much but still did some. Have to admit I had to kind of force myself most of the time, but when I got started I did quite well given the time I had. Mostly finishing off outstanding projects, though I keep hearing the chanting voice of God Engines in the background.

Continuing to post things up to EvilBay, and also purchase bits and pieces from there. The next wave (last scheduled block from August - 12 items) is due to go live tomorrow evening, and will (hopefully) see the final residence of WWX models (bar the Samurai 'special' model) at Casa Del K'Bog. With them go the 3 series of Dr Who Character Building Minifigs, so hopefully they will sell as I'm not asking much.
Also moved on my Dragon Rampant Abyssal Force to a friend (Marc), main plan behind that being to actually make me start thinking about the other forces I have in boxes awaiting painting (as I had 2 forces, there was no need to do anything with these. I know most people have fantasy forces, so opponents shouldn't be difficult to find as the models are out there, but also with my general lack of attendance at present it's not really that much of an issue.

Talking of AT:2018, I pre-ordered a Reaver from Firestorm, around £30 so quite happy with the price (expecting Warhound's to be are £45 for a box of two, so between £36-40 with FLGS discount, when released). Haven't even started the models in the GM box yet, still safely packed away in the box, but I did the same with Necromunda, buying the additional kits I wanted as they came out (Cawdor mostly), even though the stuff from the box game (and additional gang box) is still on it's sprue in the boxes.
I did look at picking up some epic 40k models to go on the bases of the Titans, mainly old plastic Rhino/Land Raider and the second run of plastic infantry, but the Marines seem as rare as they are meant to be in the 40k Universe, and the prices being asked for same of the vehicles are a joke.
I keep a wary eye out though.

And I've also fallen out of love with my secret project (well haven't thought about it for around 2-3 months), though this may be down to a replacement rearing it's head. Picking up bits and piece for this, whilst work on the original project has dried up completely. Still don't have enough to do anything with either project (and the new one is not likely for a while), but I plod along.

Working nights for the next month, which doesn't overly bother me, though will probably cut into hobby time. And there's a possibility that the night shifts may continue into October, though I have booked off Days for 'Dragondaze' (6th) and the 'Firestorm Table Sale'(20th).

Models finished this month - 15
(total for current year = 187)