Saga - Second Edition

Richard

Saga - Second Edition

Post by Richard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 am

I’m not sure how much interest there is at club for Saga at the moment but I just thought I’d post up some information on the forthcoming Second Edition which is due out on the 12th February.

The first is that the new edition will be a straight forward rulebook. It will not contain any battleboards at all, simply the rules required to play. The good news is that this is reflected in the price - £10. Whilst the author has stated there will be some changes, he does not go into any detail and I get the feeling that it is more of a tidying up exercise, sorting out the errata and (hopefully) the poor translation phrasing of the original.

Accompanying the new rules will be (what the author calls) the first Saga Universe - The Age of the Vikings. This will be where you find the battleboards and in this one there are 12 battleboards, generally covering - not surprisingly - the Viking age. Whilst these focus on Europe - especicially Britain - Byzantine and Pagan Russ are included. This is where the price escalates, coming in at £30. The author has not mentioned whether the actual battleboards abilities have changed for the various warbands. I tend to think the battleboards haven’t undergone any serious changes as the author has stated that the focus will be that battleboards are ‘balanced’ within individual ‘universe’ books and the game will not be designed for play between warbands from different universe books. This would go some way to avoiding some obviously problematical match ups like Anglo Saxons vs Huns which, in addition to being just a touch one sided, would be a ‘really interesting’ game, for the Saxon player anyway! As a matter of interest the next universe book will focus on the period of the Crusades but no mention of what comes after that.

One note of concern (for me anyway) is the author stating that he wants Saga to take account of mythical lore. That’s fine if it’s an add on option but I wouldn’t be happy to have rules that are going to lessen the historical aspects of Saga even more. :cry_blow:

It is also intended to publish a book of scenarios which can be used across any of the universe books but there is no indication of price on this at the moment.

Anyway, hope that helps with some of the rumours circulating.

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Saga - Second Edition

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:54 am

Cheers Rich!
That's cleared a few things up for me! I've never played Sage but always wanted to give it a go!
X-Wing | Bolt Action | Infinity | Mordheim | Dropzone Commander | Wolsung

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Glad it was of use Matt. It’s always been a game which, if played with fairly evenly matched opponents, is usually both challenging and great fun. It abounds with tactical choices and most factions have the ability to seriously hand out the damage whilst being vulnerable in some way, eg Berserks can be tooled up to be true killers in combat but, at the same time, my granny has a better chance of surviving missile fire. Most units are like this to some degree which makes things interesting as both players try to use their advantages without exposing their weaknesses. Nobody completely succeeds but the one who does this best is usually the victor. I think the new ‘universe’ element will cut down a great deal on mismatches, eg Heavy infantry factions versus horse archers!

I would recommend the old Saxon - Viking match up for those trying it out for the first time as the basic tactics for both these factions are quite easy to grasp - mastering is something else!

I still have figures for 4 factions at least so will be keeping a close eye on this. I’m happy to fork out for the rulebook anyway just to see what’s changed.

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Just to say I plan to play Saga this edition, seeing as how I completely missed it last edition!

I've already got a warband planned out, "Last Romans" or Byzantines/Late Romans. Using the gripping beast plastic Late Romans I should have an all foot, 6 point warband for £18.

Of course the price goes up with bases, movement trays.. the special dice... tokens... sticks... :roll:
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

John

Post by John » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 pm

MrDwhitey wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:55 pm
Just to say I plan to play Saga this edition, seeing as how I completely missed it last edition!

I've already got a warband planned out, "Last Romans" or Byzantines/Late Romans. Using the gripping beast plastic Late Romans I should have an all foot, 6 point warband for £18.

Of course the price goes up with bases, movement trays.. the special dice... tokens... sticks... :roll:
I am not sure with the new rules, I understand that the expansion book will cover from 8th century with Anglo-Saxons (Harold the Great) up to 11th Century (Normans and Battles of Stamford Bridge and Hastings). I know the idea, talking to the producers of Saga, is that the original Battle-boards and earlier expansions will be replaced by the new expansion book and battle-boards. But the later books such as Aetius and Arthur will be usable with the new rules. So for you Dave, you might find it easier to use that book to build a Late Roman army as the Byzantines covered in Varjazi and Basileus are for 9th century plus more than the earlier Byzantine period, (I'm not sure if the Late Romans [Byzantines] in the new expansion book are from the same period as those above in V&B) so are more Cavalry based. The Late Roman army from A&A can be either Foot or Cavalry based. I've got this book so can bring it down for you to borrow.
Am in the process of building an Early Saxon force to fight against my Romano-British.
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Aye, I've decided to just go with a Norman force now. Originally they were one of the forces I'd wanted to try in 1st edition, but I never got around to playing the game!
Warzone Resurrection (Dark Legion),Dropzone Commander (Scourge),Infinity (Combined Army & PanOceania),X-Wing (Imperial and Rebel),Battlefleet Gothic (Imperial and Chaos),Malifaux (Guild, Ressers), Gates of Antares (Ghar), 40k (Chaos)

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:10 pm

MrDwhitey wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 pm
Aye, I've decided to just go with a Norman force now. Originally they were one of the forces I'd wanted to try in 1st edition, but I never got around to playing the game!
I’ve not played Norman’s but I have played against them at least half a dozen times. I think their main strength is simply that, due to their mounted manoeuvrability, you can choose where the initial contact is made. For me, the most dangerous but also the most brittle (at 4 points) is the 2 mounted knights, crossbow sergeants and bow armed Levy. Their battle board has quite a few missile bonuses - I think there’s one which allows a unit to shoot twice! - so you can target an enemy unit to weaken it, then charge in to finish it off. However, if your missile troops are having an off day and/or the enemy manage to close quite quickly then you will be in serious trouble as half your force really don’t want to get in velvet in a melee! Basically, if the enemy can avoid being shot and ridden over early on, they will usually win by grinding down the Normans in melee. I’ve only seen Norman spear armed Sergeants appear in larger (6 point games).

I think the required figures are available in plastic, though if you fancy something a bit special then Footsore are bringing out their new Norman range over the next couple of months. ;)

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:14 pm

MrDwhitey wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:28 pm
If you are interested in the Plastics, Conquest Games do a very nice set of Normans
http://www.conquest-games.co.uk/index.p ... 37069c6489
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

MrDwhitey

Post by MrDwhitey » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Aye it's the conquest figures I'll be using. 1 box each of the knights, warriors and archers will give me quite some flexibility in army building. I've also ordered 8 crossbowmen for that one special unit normans always have.

Richard

Post by Richard » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:21 pm

Just a heads up for those interested in Dark Age armies, though not just for Saga. I was talking to a gaming friend yesterday and the new edition of Saga came up. He told me that another gaming friend of his was talking to Julian, one of the owners of Victrix, at a show recently and he told him that the next period for Victrix will be the Dark Ages. Looking at the quality of what Victrix are now producing in plastic then this is excellent news - have a look at their Imperial Romans or Celts! The downside is that, from previous experience, it usually takes a year from concept to gaming table for Victrix. Having said that, it will give you time to clear the decks so you’re ready to paint them when they arrive.