Howl for Brand

Owen

Howl for Brand

Post by Owen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:02 am

Came across this on FB last night:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 2476085719

There’s a young Space Wolf fan who’s recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer and there’s a movement to try and get GW to memorialise him by naming a character after him in the fluff. As this lad is from Bettws I was thinking it might be nice if we showed some Welsh Wargamer Spirit in consolidarity by doing something like having a charity 40k tournament.

What does everyone else think?

I’m not talking about anything elaborate, just something that could be held on a Long Day (although if the church knows it’s a charity event maybe they’ll allow us more time for an earlier start if we need it?). So something small like 50 Power (or whatever power level is for small games - haven’t played 8th yet so someone with more experience can correct me if this is wrong) and possibly limited to one Patrol Detachment (so no bringing Primarchs or Knights).

There’s also be an entry fee, with proceeds going to either the family’s GoFundMe page to help them pay for expenses or possibly a donation in his name to cancer research.

We could also invite representatives from other South Wales clubs as part of the showing Welsh Wargamer Spirit I mentioned above.

Thoughts everyone?

Richard

Re: Howl for Brand

Post by Richard » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm

Sounds like a good idea Owen. Maybe those with several armies may volunteer a loan of one to encourage people to participate. Having said that there probably aren’t many in club who don’t have a 40K force. My only advice would be to keep the forces quite small, not much bigger than the ‘40K in 40 minutes’ tourney we had a couple of years back that everyone seemed to enjoy. I think people aren’t so serious with the smaller games so that may be appropriate for such an event. If it goes ahead I may even deep strike from Pembroke...ok that’s the event cancelled then! :lol:

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Richard wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:34 pm
. My only advice would be to keep the forces quite small, not much bigger than the ‘40K in 40 minutes’ tourney we had a couple of years back that everyone seemed to enjoy.
Agreed. I think 50 Power is about this level in New Money (might be wrong though, have yet to play 8th so not 100% sure on points level:game size); depending on what faction you are it should get you a hero and two or three squads (obviously something like Guard will be able to get more) which should be large enough to have a fun game while still being able to be played quick enough to get a few games in. I think it might also be a good idea to either not use Relics and Warlord Traits or everyone keeps the same ones throughout the tourney for the sake of keeping things simple and not getting bogged down in details.

Also, should there be a prize for the winner? While that would nice, as this is a charity event, personally I’d be okay with no prize or even just a token prize such as next week’s subs being free. And if there is a prize, as this is charity, I think it should be paid from club funds rather than from the entry fees as it would normally be.

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:22 pm

Count me in!

50 power is still quite a lot but it depends on how many games we want to get in.

We might need to think about when we're going to do this as the next long day is pencilled in for Wolsung though we could postpone for a good cause if we have enough people taking part?
X-Wing | Bolt Action | Infinity | Mordheim | Dropzone Commander | Wolsung

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:45 pm

What about the month after if not? Alternatively, as it’s for a good cause would we be able to wrangle an extra long day with the church; unless they’re already booked up I can’t imagine them objecting if we tell them why we want the extra time. :)

Does anyone know when the cutoff date for submitting articles to the local papers? If we go ahead with this would it be a good idea our PR Officer trying to get something into the local papers to raise awareness for the cause?

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:09 pm

We could book another long day if there's enough interest and the hall is available.
X-Wing | Bolt Action | Infinity | Mordheim | Dropzone Commander | Wolsung

Liam

Post by Liam » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:00 pm

If you are looking for a 40k in 40 minutes feel you would be better served by going for 25 or 30 power. I’d also suggest a gentleman’s agreement not to abuse the narrative play system or build power lists; lets try and make it fun for everybody :D
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

2018 models painted: 203
2018 models bought: 30

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Liam wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:00 pm
If you are looking for a 40k in 40 minutes feel you would be better served by going for 25 or 30 power. I’d also suggest a gentleman’s agreement not to abuse the narrative play system or build power lists; lets try and make it fun for everybody :D
I bow to your greater experience. :)

Also, what scenarios should we play? I imagine just playing a standard pitched battle multiple times will be a touch dull. Don’t need to be anything elaborate, just a couple of different ones for variety. And they shouldn’t be anything that’d majorly disadvantage one army or another.

John

Post by John » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:53 pm

I would love to join in, but haven't played 8th ed either or got any of the Codexes, so would rely on help making a suitable list, but other than that. I'm trying to remember who actually ran the 40K in 40 minutes tourney we had? As we had several different scenarios then.
I also remember some people trying out the 40K Kill team rules! Would they be suitable for this?
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:09 pm

John wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:53 pm
. I'm trying to remember who actually ran the 40K in 40 minutes tourney we had?
Wasn’t it Bill?