Howl for Brand

Liam

Re: Howl for Brand

Post by Liam » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:54 pm

It was Bill.

Kill team could work but the updated version for 8th doesn’t have a release date yet. It was featured in some promo video recently with the AoS Idoneth Deepkin stuff but it may not be out in time if we have a time limit on this.

Other than official, the is the Heralds of Ruin kill team stuff available (all free I believe) if you wanted to go down that route.

I would advise getting the codex was for this as there are significant changes in how armies work and are put together but building a list will be very easy if we go for narrative play; as an example, it costs x points for a squad of 5 chaos space marines, armed with whatever you choose from their war gear options and then y points for each additional 5 models you add to the unit. It’s that simple. I won’t list the actual points values for obvious reasons.
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

2018 models painted: 117
2018 models bought: 25

Owen

Post by Owen » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 pm

Agreed with Liam, it’s so much cleaner using Power rather than Points, as there’s no tweeting to cut this out to squeeze that in and no taking just enough men in a squad to get a bonus or weapon or what have you.

One thought I’ve just had - iirc in the old 40k in 40mins rules there were vehicle restriction; iirc it was something like no vehicles with a combined AV of more than 33, but obviously this can’t be done in 8th as there are no AV anymore. Instead how about something like only vehicles with 10 wounds or less? This should still be high enough to allow dreads and basic transports, but will prevent things like defilers and land raiders.

Also, proposed scoring system:
1pt for a loss
2pts for a draw
3pts for a win
Simple and as this isn’t supposed to be an ultra competitive event it should allow people to recover from a bad game rather than risking throwing the final result.
Or alternatively
1pt for a loss
3pts for a draw
5pts for a win

There could also be bonus points like 1pt if you don’t lose any minis in a game, but I think it’d be better to not bother with these and keep things simple. :)

Might also be nice to have painting scores (only scored once rather than each game to keep things quick/easy). Something like:
1pt min three colours
1pt shaded/highlighted
1pt basic basing (eg just sand or flock)
1pt advanced basing (eg painted, added details to it, etc)
Points are cumulative so a fully painted and based army would be 4pts, a fully painted army with blank bases 2pts, etc.
Or alternatively if we have a half hour tea break halfway through we could do a painting comp and vote for best army for a bonus point. :)

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:23 am

Yeah, Bill ran it. I think Bill won it too lol
X-Wing | Bolt Action | Infinity | Mordheim | Dropzone Commander | Wolsung

John

Post by John » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:52 pm

I have picked up/downloaded 2 sets of 40k skirmish rules compatible with 8th ed:
one from Innsmouth gaming club
https://innsmouthgamingclub.files.wordp ... team-1.pdf
and one from 4plebs
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/ ... 288085.pdf
for people to peruse
Once in awhile,
Someone AMAZING comes along....... :o
AND HERE I AM! ;)

Owen

Post by Owen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:23 pm

John wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:52 pm
I have picked up/downloaded 2 sets of 40k skirmish rules compatible with 8th ed:
one from Innsmouth gaming club
https://innsmouthgamingclub.files.wordp ... team-1.pdf
and one from 4plebs
https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/ ... 288085.pdf
for people to peruse
That first one isn’t for 8th ed John; for example it talks about Hull Points which aren’t a thing anymore. ;)

Owen

Post by Owen » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Knocked up a rough draft for a potential ‘tournament pack’. What do people think?

Entry

Entry Fee is £10 with all proceeds going to charity.
Participants do not have to pay subs for this week.

Armies

Armies should be:
* 30 Power max
* 1 Patrol Detachment only
* May not contain any models with 11 or more wounds

Players should also each bring three objective markers.

Time Table

2:00 - Table Set-up
2:15 - Game 1 start
3:45 - Game 1 end
4:00 - Game 2 start
5:30 - Game 2 end
5:45 - Game 3 start
7:15 - Game 3 end
7:30 - Game 4 start
9:00 - Game 4 end

Games

Terrain: Terrain will be set up at the start of the day and does not need to be re-set up before each game. At the end of the night it would be appreciated if all players pitch in to pack terrain and tables away.

Tactical Objectives: All games use Tactical Objectives (see p226 of the main rule book).

Opponent selection: For the first game names will be drawn randomly from a hat. For games two, three and four players will be paired up by scores so far (so the player with the highest score will play the one with the second highest; third highest plays fourth, and so on). Only game scores count for this.

Warlords: Players select their Warlord and his Warlord trait before Game 1 and keep the same ones throughout.

Relics: The Relic you select before Game 1 is retained throughout and another may not be selected. Stratagems which grant additional Relics may not be used.

Game 1

Eternal War: No Mercy
This game will be played using the No Mercy mission (see p219 of the main rule book).

Game 2

Eternal War: The Relic
This game will be played using the The Relic mission (see p223 of the main rule book).

Game 3

Maelstrom of War: Cloak and Shadows
This game will be played using the Cloak and Shadows mission (see p234 of the main rule book).

Game 4

Maelstrom of War: Deadlock
This game will be played using the Deadlock mission (see p235 of the main rule book).

Scoring

Hobby: There are 5 points which can be scored for painting. These are as follows and are cumulative.
* 1pt if the entire army is under coated
* 1pt if the entire army has a minimum of three colours
* 1pt if ‘advanced techniques’ such as highlighting, washes, etc have been used and details painted, transfers used, etc
* 1pt if the entire army has been based with bare flock or sand, or if unpainted decorative bases have been used
* 1pt if the entire army’s bases have been painted and decorated with details such as static grass, tufts, etc
Painting is scored once, before Game 1 begins by your first opponent.
Further there are 3pts which can be scored for modelling as follows
* 1pt for themed objective markers
* 1pt if army contains minor conversions (eg FW shoulder pads on marines, third party heads on Guardsmen, etc)
* 1pt if your Warlord is extensively converted/scratchbuilt
Like painting, modelling is scored once before Game 1.
There is also a bonus 2pts for the best Warlord. During the recess between Games 2 and 3 a vote will be taken for the best Warlord. Votes should be based on a combination of painting and modelling, but the criteria for what counts as the best one’ is left up to the individual.

Games: Each game you can score up to 5 points. Points are scored as follows.
* 1pt for a loss
* 3pts for a draw
* 5pts for a win

Winner: the final winner will be the player whose combined scores for all games and for hobby is highest.

Owen

Post by Owen » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Just seen an update on FB. Unfortunately the lad passed away last night, although not before Phil Kelly announced that BL will be naming a character in an upcoming novel after him.

In light of this, there’s an important question everyone needs to answer; as the intention of this tourney is to be for charity we need to decide what will be done with the money raised. Do we donate it to the family’s GoFundMe page to help them pay the related expenses, or do we donate to CancerResearch Uk or similar cancer-based charity?

Marc

Post by Marc » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am

I can speak with the guys from crow valley gamers and the guys from camarthen club if you want see if any would like to enter also to get the numbers up so we can raise as much as possible

Liam

Post by Liam » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Marc wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:28 am
I can speak with the guys from crow valley gamers and the guys from camarthen club if you want see if any would like to enter also to get the numbers up so we can raise as much as possible
Sorry Marc, I only just saw this. That would be great, thanks, we would love to welcome them to the club :)
Games I play: 40k (CSM, Dark Eldar), AoS (Sylvaneth), Wolsung (Ash and Oak), Game of Thrones LCG (Baratheon, Lannister), Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos), Mordheim (Undead)

2018 models painted: 117
2018 models bought: 25

Marc

Post by Marc » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:35 pm

Ok cool as soon as we have a firm date I will reach out to them and see if I can generate some interest, they are a great bunch so I’m sure they will make the effort for such a great cause